Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iomega NAS Problems worth knowing.

G’day all

Been awhile since I posted but after seeing all these complaints about HP – has anyone had any dealings with Iomega lately? We have had a hell of a problem – we supplied 3 of the Iomega Rackmount NAS devices to different customers. All of them have the same problem despite being at different sites in different configurations. They hang and become unresponsive every 3 to 4 days with no errors in the Event Logs forcing you to make a manual reboot (pressing the power button is the only thing that will work).

Now how is this for crap support

– Iomega refuse to warranty the device other than to replace parts (ie. Motherboard, memory etc etc).

– They expect us to replace the parts ourselves as they will not send a technician onsite.

– The warranty is RTB and as such they expect us to take the NAS device down and therefore supply a replacement device and undertake a transfer of all data to alternate devices (300gb to 400gb – takes a LONG time and has to be done after hours).

– We have done this of course – NAS device gone for 2 weeks and comes back with same problem. Again we had to transfer all data back onto the NAS before we could identify that therproblem was still there.

– Since receiving the “repaired” device we have ourselves replaced every single part inside the case and reinstalled the IOS twice under instruction from Iomega. Upon installing the IOS (again each time we had to transfer data to an alternate location) blue screens were experienced throughout the IOS installation process proving beyond doubt that hardware/IOS is the root cause of the problem.

– We said we wanted a replacement device and they sent us a second hand device still with data from the previous company on the HDD’s and dents/dings all over the case. Said this was the best they could do and did not want to hear from us again.

– One of their high level support technicians in Singapore accidentally let drop in conversation to one of my staff that they were “aware” of this problem across all of these devices and “did not know how to fix the problem”.

So I wanted to let you all know as a head’s up and also to see if anyone else has had the same problem? If you have please contact me offline as we are now with the support of 3 of our clients undertaking legal action to get our money back on these devices.

Anyone else – don’t buy an Iomega NAS device.

Regards
    Matthew Beesley

Premier Network Support Management P/L
    Suite 830
    1 Queens Rd
    Melbourne 3004
    Looks like one to be a bit wary of even if only half of what is said is true.

Permission given to Henry Craven SBS MVP, Melbourne SBS Users Group to pass on the above internationally. As a User Group Member I take it that permission applies to me as well.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Re: Iomega NAS Problems worth knowing.

Yikes!! Hate the feeling to expect support and get the finger instead...
    What do you think about this HP device: http://h18006.www1.hp.com/storage/ai...nta-aio_q3fy07 ? And what "all these complaints about HP" is Matthew Beesley talking about?

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -
    «««««

Comment

The HP complaints refer to another thread in the SBS User Group. It is related to Small Business support here in OZ and I didn't want to edit part of the post. My apologies if it caused any confusion. The Iomega part was the alarming bit.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Cool, NP.
        I was interested, since I am looking for an HP solution and the above mentioned device looks very promissing.

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
        In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -
        «««««

Comment

This looks like the same issues we had but with another type of NAS.

We actually bought a Buffalo TeraStation for one of our client and ewwwwww...

I think we probably had more than 6-7 different problems with it. Starting from huge performance issue (could take 5mins to list a directory), then sharing problems, raid errors problem who magically disapeared after some times, etc.

Support was very very bad, we were issued an Advanced RMA (they bill and ship a new NAS, then refund when you return the defective one) (that is probably the only good thin at Bufallo).

New TeraStation back, everything works fine but suddenly, shares become unaccesible. We need to manually reboot the NAS to fix the issue. So, i went back into the tech support madness of Buffalo and got the answer "upgrade the firmware with newest".

I hate that...

trep

Comment

Working...
          X