Awkward Realplayer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awkward Realplayer

Does anyone know of any free software for converting wreteched realplayer files to something easlily recognised by Windows Media Player. I refer to such files as .rar and 3gp

I dare not install Realplayer again as it takes control of numerous File associations and is difficult to remove again.

Gordon

Re: Awkward Realplayer

Hi, Gordon.
    You can find some 3GP-to-something-else converters in : http://www.google.co.il/search?hl=en&q=3gp+convert . You may want to try some players for 3GP other than RealPlayer : http://www.google.co.il/search?hl=en&q=3gp+player . I have no experience with this type of files, so cannot recommend you something specific.
    Regarding RAR, you're talking about an archive file (to use with WinRAR), or some Java developer module: http://filext.com/file-extension/rar . None of them is multimedia (you probably are dealing with an archive).
    Hope this helped.
    Keep the forum posted.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Thanks these 3gp players are obviously very useful with the widespread use of Cameras in mobiles. but so far I have not managed to get one to work on a file sent me or one suppiled with the software. Perhaps others will have more luck. Many are freeware.

Gordon

Comment

Cool.
        Sorry you didn't find any solution so far. Have you asked the person that sent you the file what is s/he using?
        It will be nice to post back, when you have found the solution.

Good luck.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Thanks S

I have emailed her to ask the make of camera mobile, but she does say she can run her 3gp files using this Realplayer.

Gordon

Comment

I wonder if there's any way you could check the integrity of the file you got. Maybe you should try to create one with your camera and see if you can paly it...

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

She has comme back with the following

it's a sony ericsson k800i but will also open with Nokia media player on my PC

I do not have a camera on my very simple mobile. Have you tried to open any of these 3gp files yourself? If not I could put the two on my site I have as a zip file if you wish to experiment with them.

Gordon

Gordon

Comment

As I stated in post #2, I have no experience with these files.
                If it will help you, I have no problem installing here one of the players and playing with them.
                If you decide to go for it, send me details through PM.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

If you or anyone wishes to experiment with a couple of these 3gp files download below. Please let us know if you manage to find any Free software to run them. I will leave the file up for about a week

http://sionet.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/3gp.zip

Gordon

Comment

Well, my testing so far:
                    I was able to play both files with QuickTime, Windows Media Player 11 and Nero ShowTime 2. The Video-03 file crashed VLC Player, but the other one played OK with VLC.

Any particular 3gp player you are interested in? Or the test so far are enough?

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Thanks for your great help in confirming the two files are OK. Being awkward I only have WMP ver 9 installed as I seem to find the later versions affected some speech programs installed, and I only have a very old version of Quicktime that does not recognise 3gp files. However I did manage to download and run the files with a free Nokia player from below. The only problem is the slow download speed of only about 25 K with a 7 Mb file.

Thanks again

http://www.brothersoft.com/dvd_video...oad_46238.html

Comment

In resurrecting this post again I downloaded a .RAM file from the UK BBC site which is supposed to enable me to play old radio programs, but you need to install the wreteched Realplayer to hear the file. I dunno if others have experienced the problem, but each time I do install Realplayer I cannot stop it taking over file associations of umpteen files I prefer Windows Media Player to handle.

Does anyone know of any other software capable of playing these Realpalyer files. It baffles me why our BBC cannot ditribute their material as simple MP3 files like everyone else, but I suppose they enjoy being awkward.

Comment

Hi, GordonSweet.
                          Yeah, the RealPlayer does have this unbelievable bad habit of taking ownership over many other media files when you install it. We had a lot of troubles with it, so I just recommended my staff not to install it anymore.
                          There are many other apps that can play RealMedia files. Unfortunately, RAM file is not a media file (is more like a pointer to a file on the Web). So the RAM file itself cannot be played with something else. I wonder if there's a way to save the RealMedia audio files and play them later...

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Thanks S I am glad I am not the only one complaining about the dreaded Realplayer. I will have to look around for other software allowing us to play these Realplayer files, unless you know of a link.

If I can install one that asocoates with the files then I can hear these BBC programes online and use my sound card option to record the sounds.

Comment

For those following this thread I have found free sofware supposed to be capable of playing a .RA file at http://www.irfanview.com/

This is also nice simple image file editor I find usefull. Now I need to find a .RA file to test it, but if will not allow me to play the BBC Radio Program recordings online, which are craftily set to activate the Realplayer adverts.

Comment

Working...
                              X