Stand-by Vs Shutdown Vs Hibernation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stand-by Vs Shutdown Vs Hibernation

What do you guys do with your main desktops at night?

I always shutdown my desktop but I read somewhere that it's actually worse for the PC to be shutdown everynight than it is to leave it on / hibernate but it uses more electricity when switched on.

Just wondering what other people do?

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Re: Stand-by Vs Shutdown Vs Hibernation

Are we talking about "chip creep"?

As far as the hardware's concerned, hibernate is the same as shutdown.

I will usually leave mine on unless I'm not going to be on it for more than two days.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I rarely do shutdown my computer and when i do its when I am out of town for an extended time. Otherwise always on.
      I could show you some incredible uptime, but there is patch Tuesday, so i never get past a month or so.
      "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

OK, guys, I see what you do with your computers.
        An interesting question would be: why? Why did you decide this way? Was it because your computer does something even when unattended? Do you need it to be available immediately (so no need for it to boot)? Or do you need it from remote?
        What about enterprise setup? Should I take in consideration the power that my 450 PCs waste when not in use? I have a lot of people working part-time jobs. Out of the almost 100 employees, maybe twenty are working supplementary hours.
        I'd be glad to see your opinion.

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
        In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -
        «««««

Comment

Most machines are "green" these days so if you have them set to spin down the disk(s) and hibernate the display they really don't take that much energy.

From an Electrical Engineering stand point, you need to look at the shock of cycling power vs. the cost of keeping it on 24x7. Hibernate and Standby effectively turn off power (ATX power supplies always have a little power on even when shutdown) so those two options are electrically similar to shutdown.

Comparing shutdown to 24x7 up time, I think power and wear-and-tear aren't the biggest concerns -- it's exposure to malice be it virus or attempted hacking.

That to me is the best reason to shut them down when not in use (or hibernate / standby them for speed of startup).
          Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

© 2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
            OK, guys, I see what you do with your computers.
            An interesting question would be: why? Why did you decide this way? Was it because your computer does something even when unattended? Do you need it to be available immediately (so no need for it to boot)? Or do you need it from remote?
            What about enterprise setup? Should I take in consideration the power that my 450 PCs waste when not in use? I have a lot of people working part-time jobs. Out of the almost 100 employees, maybe twenty are working supplementary hours.
            I'd be glad to see your opinion.
            Old school I guess (even though I am about half the age of most here ) It used to be that the best way to lengthen the life of a HD, was to reduce the number of power cycles, If this is true or not i have no idea but thats how I remember it.

I do use my computer for almost the whole day, about 16hrs (I work from home), so I see no point in shutting it down to turn it on in few hours.

My mother in law on the other hand, turns the computer on and off every time she uses it, so in one day it can cycle three or four times. Since i have this really nifty monitoring solution I get all these alerts every time she uses her computer. Drives me crazy actually.
            "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Originally posted by Lior_S View Post
              My mother in law on the other hand, turns the computer on and off every time she uses it, so in one day it can cycle three or four times. Since i have this really nifty monitoring solution I get all these alerts every time she uses her computer. Drives me crazy actually.
              I believe some therapy may (should) be in your future.
              Cheers,

Rick

© 2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by rvalstar View Post

Comparing shutdown to 24x7 up time, I think power and wear-and-tear aren't the biggest concerns -- it's exposure to malice be it virus or attempted hacking.
                Interesting tactic, If it is off, you cannot hack it.

Almost
                A remote user may be able to gain access to the server controls when the target server is powered down.
                As a workaround, you can unplug the power cord whenever the server is powered down.

Comment

Originally posted by rvalstar View Post
                  I believe some therapy may (should) be in your future.
                  yep, and its got nothing to do with the alerts

Comment

Originally posted by Lior_S View Post
                    That's not fair. When one gets access to your iLO, is like he's sitting on your console. Nonetheless, is one of the best toys I played with in the last years.
                    And yes, one of my primary concerns is security breaching. For the sake of the freedom of the academy, our firewall looks more like a grater (both from the number and dimension of the holes ).
                    Last edited by sorinso; 14th June 2007, 20:39.

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
                    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                    -
                    «««««

Comment

Working...
                    X