Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQL tlogs...

i gotta ask a stupid question...

i have an SQL 2000 SP4 dB that runs against the GFI mailarchiver installed on my eX box. the tlogs are ususally ok as far as groth, but today i came in and the drive they are on (that had 9 gigs free, outta 30) is full, with only 700 megs left.

needless to say i stopped the polling on the journaler account, so no new transactions are comming in.

i have a maintance plan to optimize, and a scheduled backup, but for some reason that doesnt seem to clear the logs like it has previously.

i have this command that is supposed to truncate the log files, but where the hell do i type this? im lost...

BACKUP LOG <database name> WITH TRUNCATE_ONLY

and the same for the DBCC_SHRINK commands as well... i have no where to type them...
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Re: SQL tlogs...

Assuming you have full SQL server installed, open query analyzer and enter the commands there

Alternatively, from a command prompt, run OSQL and enter the commands at the prompt there. Type GO to commit them all

If you don't have query analyzer or osql, let us know
    Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: SQL tlogs...

you rock. thanks man!
      its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
      Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Working...
      X