Newbie question about ISO file

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie question about ISO file

Not too sure if this is the right place to ask this, but being new, I have to start somewhere.

I just created an ISO of my CIV 4 CD, then I burned the ISO file to CD. What I have is an ISO file on a CD, now what can I do with it? When I open the ISO file and go the the SETUP.EXE file and click on it, nothing happens. When I go to the ISO file on my HDD and open it, go to the SETUP.EXE file and click on it, nothing happens.

What I'm trying to understand is: what good does that ISO file do if I can't do anything with it?
    Thanx

WinXP Pro SP2
    Acer 19" LCD
    2.66 mHz Intell Celeron
    1024MB PC400 RAM
    Radeon 1650 PRO
    160G HDD - 116 free

Re: Newbie question about ISO file

I think this will explain what it is and how to use it. http://www.petri.com/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm

If you have more questions, post them here and we'll see what we can do to help.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
      I think this will explain what it is and how to use it. http://www.petri.com/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm

If you have more questions, post them here and we'll see what we can do to help.
      Thank you, those are the exact instructions I followed. My question, again;
      Now that I have this ISO file on CD, what do I do with it? When I open the file and click on the SETUP.EXE file, nothing happens.

How is the file supposed to be used? If I give that CD to someone with the ISO file on it, what does that someone do with it if the SETUP file doesn't work?

Thanx

Comment

Originally posted by cesareDH View Post
        Thank you, those are the exact instructions I followed. My question, again;
        Now that I have this ISO file on CD, what do I do with it? When I open the file and click on the SETUP.EXE file, nothing happens.

How is the file supposed to be used? If I give that CD to someone with the ISO file on it, what does that someone do with it if the SETUP file doesn't work?

Thanx
        If you see the ISO file then it wasn't burned properly. I assume you're using something like ISO Buster to view the contents of the ISO file, correct? To use any of the files in the image, they must be extracted from the ISO.

When you burn the ISO properly, all the contents should be directly accessible, just like any other CD.

What are the exact steps you used to burn the image?
        Regards,
        Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

If you see the ISO file then it wasn't burned properly. I assume you're using something like ISO Buster to view the contents of the ISO file, correct? To use any of the files in the image, they must be extracted from the ISO.

When you burn the ISO properly, all the contents should be directly accessible, just like any other CD.

What are the exact steps you used to burn the image?
          Steps to create a CD if you have installed ISO Recorder Power Toy:

Download the ISO CD image to a folder on your computer.

Insert a blank CD in your CD-RW drive.

Start Windows Explorer.

Locate the ISO file, right-click the file name, and then click Copy image to CD to open the ISO Recorder Wizard.

Follow the steps in the wizard to write the image to the CD.

Pretty hard to screw that up!! even for me.

Comment

[QUOTE
            What are the exact steps you used to burn the image?[/QUOTE]

I used UNDISKER to create & view the ISO file and ISO Recorder Power Toy to burn the file to CD.

Comment

Originally posted by cesareDH View Post
              Pretty hard to screw that up!! even for me.
              Fair enough.

If you do see the .iso file then it didn't burn properly. Either try it again or use a different method.

If you don't see the .iso file then perhaps the file is corrupted. Do you have an alternate image you can test with?
              Regards,
              Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Fair enough.

If you do see the .iso file then it didn't burn properly. Either try it again or use a different method.

If you don't see the .iso file then perhaps the file is corrupted. Do you have an alternate image you can test with?
                As you can see by the ISO-Pic 2, the ISO file is on the CD. Over the top (below) you see the file opened in Undisker after I clicked on it. That should mean the file is NOT corrupted, right?

You see the original ISO file on the HDD next to an NRI file (whatever that is) and that is what I burned to CD. B ut the file on the CD is the exact same ISO file that is on the HDD.

Now, I can either try burning the same image to a different CD using different burning software, or I can create a different ISO file of the same CIV4 CD using different software, then burn it to CD using ISO Power Toy again.

I'm open to your expert advice; just tell me what you think would be the best way to go.

Thanx
                Attached Files

Comment

Looking at the pictures, I think your assessment is correct.

After the burn, the CD should have a directory that looks the same as the Undisker shows, not an ISO file.

I too use that power toy and never had any issue with it.
                  I say give it one more try with the same iso and make sure you select Copy image to CD
                  Regards,
                  Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

[QUOTE Copy image to CD [/QUOTE]

I discovered what the problem was. When I right-clicked on the file, "Copy Image to CD" was not there. I ran a repair on ISO Power Toy and then clicked on the ISO file and "Copy Image to CD" was right there at the top.

When I selected that and followed the Wizard, it took about 90 seconds to burn the ISO to a CD. When I closed the CD door, the CIV4 start screen popped right up.

I really appreciate your patience and assistance. Even tho the problem turned out to be a little different than anticipated, without your help I'd have never found it and I'd have given up on ISO files.

Comment

Glad to help and I'm glad you got it working.
                      Regards,
                      Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

[QUOTE=got it working. [/QUOTE]

The CD does NOT work. It acted like it wanted to work when I first put it in, but it wouldn't run the game.

At least I know how to work with an ISO file now.thanx

Comment

Ahhh. Games have copy protection on them (forced bad sectors and the like) thus your CIV 4 ISO won't work.
                          Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
                          X