No announcement yet.

Merging of network / IT departments

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merging of network / IT departments

My company announced a couple of weeks ago that we're combining with another company. Their company is all in one building (a big one mind you), whereas ours is spread out across the country. We're fully Server / AD 2003, WinXP, one domain, and from what I've heard so far, they're the same.

Can you say FUN?

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else out there has gone through something like this, and if so, do you have any advice?

Only looking for appropriate responses.
    Last edited by Wired; 24th May 2007, 20:21.
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Merging of network / IT departments

I personally would first of all set up trusts. Once that had bedded down and resource access across the two organisations was running smoothly, I would set up a new "empty" forest root and a working domain with trusts to the old environments. I would start to migrate all the data into the working domain, and use a suitable migration tool to start COPYING (*NOT* migrating) user accounts into the new working domain. I would have Exchange installed in the appropriate version in the new Working domain (or if you fancy it a separate messaging domain) and create a new mailbox for each user in the Working domain. Once the copy of user accounts was into "Maintenance" mode (i.e. main body copied and new changes the only thing happening) I would begin exporting users' mailboxes to PST and importing them into the new domain; coupled with this I would be joining their workstations to the new domain. Group Policy could be finalised later as time went on...

This all sounds great doesn't it? It will of course not work anything like this but it's a nice dream to start from...

For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you