DAT72 tape drive media request at 36GB

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DAT72 tape drive media request at 36GB

I have a new Dell PowerEdge 840 server I installed in March. It has two mirrored 143GB SAS drives on a PERC. Running SBS 2003.

The server also has a Seagate DAT 36/72 tape drive which is 36GB native and 72GB compressed. I am running Backup Exec 10d.

Whenever the byte count gets to 36GB, Backup Exec pauses, ejects the tape and requests media. Compression is enabled in BE and the tape properties window shows compression enabled. I have tried Windows tape drivers and Backup Exec (Symantec) tape drivers. I had Dell out today to replace the drive and it still fails at 36GB. I have tried a variety of DAT72 tapes including a Dell 5-oack I just bought last week.

I am backing up a normal mixture of Office documents, Exchange store and pictures. I should be able to back up more than 36GB and it is too much of a coincidence that it always quits when the drive has reached it's native capacity.

Over the past 4 or 5 years I have about 40 of these same installations, same DAT72 drive and same backup software. This is the first time I have ever had a problem like this and I am stumped.

Any suggestions?
    Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Re: DAT72 tape drive media request at 36GB

Rob, I seem to remember a thread with a similar problem to yours some months ago. Try searching the site for 36/72, Seagate DAT etc and see what you come up with. When time permits I will have a look as well.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

DAT72 tape drive media request at 36GB {solved}

The problem has been solved.

First off, Dell was not much help. They provided me with a utility that tested the compression on the drive and it indicated the compression worked. I selected a 1GB file for the test.

Dell told me the native compression was 36GB and I was getting 36.9GB which indicated very miniscule compression.

The customer was a real estate company and they had thousands of JPG pictures. JPG files do not compress and they were eating up valuable storage space on the tape. I have never had experience with real estate companies before.

After excluding JPG and JPEG files in NTbackup to do my test, I reinstalled Backup Exec and excluded JPG, JPEG, MP3, WMF, MPG and AVI files from the backup job. Everything works like a charm now.

Comment

Thanks for posting back with the result Rob. Another reason to HATE the so called 36/72 stats offered by the sales spin doctors.

And Dell were no help. I am surprised. (That was a bit unfair. I have been told that they provide excellent support for the server side of their gear)

Maybe because I am an old untrusting fart, if the box say 36/72 (or 70/140 for Rev drives) I use the first number as bible and anything else that goes on is a bonus. That way you don't find yourself up a brown river without a flat bladed movement device.

Points added for your Community Spirit and sharing your results. Thanks.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thank you.

Dell server support is excellent. I think they all fall under the 'Enterprise Services' division. I think the storage and Power Vault division is a branch of this, but I could tell the guy I was talking to was unsure because he had to go to another level to brainstorm and call me back later.

When he came back, he told me Office documents do not compress well. I researched that while he was gone and discovered several sites that said Office documents do compress well. It was while the tech was gone and I was researching the compressability of documents that I stumbled across my findings about JPG files.

I would always recommend Dell Enterprise support, but the real quality is here

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
          X