No announcement yet.

PageFile and possibly RAM & BIOS problems

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PageFile and possibly RAM & BIOS problems

I am hoping that somone will treat me as a complete thicko and guide me through various steps to help me get my PC running as well as it did....Ignore anything that might look as though I know what I am doing!

I use large photoshop files...the PC used to be able to handle files up to approx 1.5G or more if I recall correctly....
    I upgraded the memory from 2G to reset the BIOS which I seem to have got back to correct settings.
    Since then I have been struggling with photoshop files of 150Mb and one or two other programs etc.

I have searched for advice on the problems and I have tried other forums....

Everyone has been helpful and generally offers advice to a point, but the advice always seems to conflict with someone else's opinion plus I never get to the full answer.

I am trying this site largely because of the excellent piece on Page Files, which I partly understand, but I am too d..n scared to start implementing things, just in case it gets worse.

I have looked at the RAM settings which seem to be correct, and I am now beginning to think in addition to the '4GB installed' '2-3GB seen' problem [do I involve the 3GB switch, PAE, or Memory Hole for example???]

I also think I may have a corrupt PageFile [or a 'pagefile.sys' file....which I tried to delete and made matters worse]....neither will defrag, whatever I do with them.

Obviously anyone that can help will ask more questions, so what do you need to know?

Thanks, AL.

Re: PageFile and possibly RAM & BIOS problems

Save ALL your data, Favourites, email etc and do a clean install of everything. Will save you a lot of time and your machine should be quick again.
    Departed: 23rd December 2015

Hi there....thanks, mate..........

I think I had come to that conclusion, although it won't get round the '4GBinstalled' '2-3GBseen' issue with the RAM.

It also means that I won't be flying blind (unlike 'Biggles Flies Undone'....sorry, couldn't resist it)

Thanks again. AL

I assume you are running 32bit hardware in which case you will only see some 3GB to 3.25GB depending on your video card. There are a couple of threads about the "disappearing" RAM issue on the site and there may even be one in the Vista Forum. Must find an article on this and sticky it somewhere since 4GB RAM is no longer a rarity.

And my favourites. Biggles Goes It Alone or was it Biggles Does It Again and Biggles On Top. :
        Departed: 23rd December 2015

Because I saw your other post...

Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2
          AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+
          Corsair CM2X1024-6400 x 4 DDR2 SDRAM
          Memory Speed DDR2-800 (400 MHz)
          @ 400 MHz 5.0-5-5-18 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
          @ 270 MHz 4.0-4-4-13 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
          CPU cache:
          L1 Code Cache 64 KB
          L1 Data Cache 64 KB
          L2 Cache 512 KB (Asynchronous)
          Motherboard Chipset ULi/ALi M1697, AMD Hammer
          Motherboard Asrock AM2XLI-eSATA
          NVidia 7600GT 256mb graphics

Anyway.....I wonder if I should investigate using the /3GB switch, PAE and the Memory Hole regarding the 4GB / 2-3GB issue.....I wonder how safe they are???