hey.. Im looking to buy Access point to my company

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hey.. Im looking to buy Access point to my company

well its about time to have wifi in my network.
    im sysadmin on AD network with MS server 2000
    Im looking to buy 3 AP for the network
    My budget is 300$ for a unit mor or a less
    Im not sure "more mony its better" but Im here to heer fro you expireins
    cisco is to mutch expensiv for my budget

what will be the must and the "good to have" for a medium company Network - AP

thenx..,

Re: hey.. Im looking to buy Access point to my company

How many users will be connecting to the AP and what is the maximum distance in terms of range that your users will need?

FYI, you may well need more than one AP so be prepared for that.
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

well.... for nowonly few' about 4 and i dont see that grouing over 20.
      the distance of 100m is what i need.

I will buy 3 AP but everyone will be in a separat building (but in the same subnet)
      i want that the users will be authenticat (My english not that good) with my AD
      and that the AP will be wpa2 capable. ( I hope that all I need)

Comment

Originally posted by mindfields View Post
        well.... for nowonly few' about 4 and i dont see that grouing over 20.
        the distance of 100m is what i need.

I will buy 3 AP but everyone will be in a separat building (but in the same subnet)
        i want that the users will be authenticat (My english not that good) with my AD
        and that the AP will be wpa2 capable. ( I hope that all I need)

Why not buy a single access point which has 100 meter x 3 coverage capacity ?
        Before purchasing considor future growth.

If now you buy a access point which has 400~500 meter coverage, it'll be beneficial for you. No matter how many more users connect from which building. It's also helpful for simplified administration. You'll just need to manage single access point via web based interface. You ultimately save time,total cost etc.
        All in 1
        Solaris,Linux & Windows admin + networking.

Comment

Originally posted by sco1984 View Post

If now you buy a access point which has 400~500 meter coverage, it'll be beneficial for you.
          Where the hell did the 400~500 metre coverage come from?

There is NO WAY any advice can be supplied on this without knowing the physical layout and construction of the building this wireless "network" is going to be installed in. Think about it. What if the building has excessively thick brick/concrete walls or lots of steel pipe that inder the signal or a cordless phone system working on the 2.4GHz channel.

Mindfields, more research needs to be done on your part on how a wireless network operates and what can interfere with the signal. You will then need to do a site survey to determine the best location for the APs and make sure you do not get any interference from other wireless sources.

The biggie is to make sure your wireless devices are secure and can not be accessed by wardrivers etc.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
          X