Learning SharePoint

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning SharePoint

I know there is Google and I have read the MS articles, but right now I need something quick and dirty about learning about SharePoint. Have just taken over a new site and it is a wee bit of a mess and I need to sort it out.

If anyone has any sites or reading suggestions (not Microsoft) I would appreciate it. (I give good points. )
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Re: SharePoint

I tend to end up here much of the time:

http://wss.collutions.com/default.aspx

You didn't state whether this was WSS or SharePoint Portal or which version. In any case, this site offers a wealth of info and links.
    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Re: Learning SharePoint

Thanks Rick. Busy little Home Page, isn't it!
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Try these Biggles

SharePointGuide.pdf

Blog it

Hope they help
        The Univurse is still winning!

W2K AD, WSUS, RIS 2003. ISA also AVG Server
        ** If contributors help you, recognise them and give reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for the above info and now I am going to hi-jack my own thread.

I have seen snippets about not running SharePoint on a DC but so far I have not seen a real reason. Anyone tell me why it is not a good idea? Only other option is to run it on the WSUS/ISA 2004 Server and I isn't keen on that.

Has anyone transfered/upgraded SharePoint 2 to SharePoint 3 without any hassles (or minor/major disasters). If so, what/how did you do?

Thanks.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I take it we're talking about WSS and not the full blown SharePoint Server? You running off the toy MSDE database or a real version of SQL Server?

Like all things not recommended to run on a DC, I'm guessing you can get it to work w/out too much trouble unless the installer checks.

Regarding upgrades from WSS 2 to WSS 3 -- best of luck to you.

If you haven't used any third party web parts, it may be easier. Here's the link for an upgrade:

http://technet2.microsoft.com/window....mspx?mfr=true

There used to be a Visio VSD on the whole bit, AM101639751033.vsd, but it seems to have been pulled.

When you figure it all out, let us know. I was happy with a successful new install of SQL Server 2005 and WSS 3.0 -- much nicer than 2.0 I must say. Now I have to plan for an upgrade of an existing 2.0 site with many third party web parts.
            Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

It is the toy SQL (MSDE) and I have read where upgrade from WSS 2 to 3 went badly wrong. I haven't seen and feedback from the several techs who tried it. I shall try a test at home in the lab and let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the link. Really need to find some time for research. 16 hour day today....leave you a bit tired.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by AndyUK View Post
                Try these Biggles

SharePointGuide.pdf

Blog it

Hope they help
                Thanks I think these will help me..