No announcement yet.

Yellow Exclamation Mark against DVD & CD drives in Device Manager

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yellow Exclamation Mark against DVD & CD drives in Device Manager

I have an ASUS K8V Deluxe m/b with XP Pro SP2 .

There are 2 DVD/CD peripheral drives installed , a LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S and a LITE-ON LTR-40125S.

Until the other day these have worked without problems for over 2 years. Now they have yellow exclamation marks against each with the identical message when I right click on PROPERTIES in D.M. This message is :-

"Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)"

These drives also do not appear in Windows Explorer or in Disk Management.

However , if I nominate either of these to be bootable in the BIOS , and then insert a bootable disk , the PC boots from both.

This suggests to me that the drives are working OK.

However I am unable to see any data on them as they do not show in Explorer.

Can anyone suggest a solution to this problem ?

Incidentally , if I go back several days by re-installing a previously obtained Image File of the C: drive the yellow exclamation marks are not there.

The only possibly relevant recent activity I have performed is that of removing most of my Applications from the C;\Program Folder to another drive using an Application called "AppMove" in an effort to reduce the size of the C:\ drive and any subsequent Image Files of that drive I may make in the future.

Whether this is relevant or not I have no idea.

Re: Yellow Exclamation Mark against DVD & CD drives in Device Manager

CD code 41

NOTE: Then... after you remove the Upperfilters value and the Lowerfilters value, if you notice lost functionality in a particular program, such as CD recording software, you may need to reinstall that software. If the problem recurs, consult with the software vendor for assistance.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
    and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts