What is causing my PC to hang?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is causing my PC to hang?

Ever since I bought my Leadtek A7600GS TDH (AGP) and installed it into my known good system, I have had nothing but trouble. I either get:
    • The whole system hangs. Nothing happens, no lights, no animated icons, no CTRL-ALT-DEL, just a memory of what was on the screen b4 the crash
    • Both my LCD monitors go snowy. I think the system has hung as above but can't tell

I don't know if it's the card, a compatability issue b/w the card and the system, or simply another piece of hardware which has co-incidentally started failing. Could it be the power supply which can not supply enuf power (it's a 500W)?
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: What is causing my PC to hang?

When you installed the card did you remove all traces of the previous driver???

Have you tried using the driver that was on the disk???

Have you tried using an updated driver??

Comment

When you installed the card did you remove all traces of the previous driver???
      No. I was using the latest NVIDIA drivers so I didn't think it would be beneficial to remove them only to re-install them.

I did download the drivers from the LeadTek site "NVidia 6.14.10.9381 but that did not make a difference.
      |
      +-- JDMils
      |
      |

Comment

Is the PSU delivering enough wattage to run everything (500W is looking on the low side!)?
        Does the graphics card need / have a separate power connector?
        What about fans / air circulation / cooling
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

(500W is looking on the low side!)
          Your kidding me!? I thought 500W was pretty standard. I'll get another PSU on the weekend anyway.

It does have an external power connector which is connected. Cooling is OK. I've got the most massive heat-pipe cooling system on the CPU and two case fans- one blowing and the other sucking. Let's see what the new PSU does.....
          |
          +-- JDMils
          |
          |

Comment

I'd say to check the power needs for that Card, and at the same time check and see if you have A Bare Min. of 18 Amps on the +12 Rail or Rails Ea.

Post your System specs, if you can please.
            "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without Result" -Winston Churchill

Comment

And operating system. Also, have a Captain Cook at this. http://www.journeysystems.com/?powercalc
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
              X