HELP - RECOVERY CD NOT WORKING

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP - RECOVERY CD NOT WORKING

I have a Toshiba Satellite Laptop (1805) and it came with windows ME. I upgraded to Windows XP (home) and I need to use the recovery cd to restore the computer but it is not working (I think because ME is no longer there and was the main os). I cannot uninstall XP - says registration info is not complete - ugh......the computer is messed up and not working properly... any ideas on how to get rid of XP and/or get my recovery cd to work?

The recovery CD is normally tied to the original OS. If you installed XP home you probably formatted to NTFS which ME will not touch.

Get an old DOS boot floppy with fdisk on it

Fdisk the hard drive

Run the recovery CD

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I second that. Re-format your HD (just make sure you backup any valuable information that was on it) and re-install the OS. Make sure you visit the manufacturer's website for all the updated drivers and have them handy on a CD.
      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
      X