X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compressed Floppies.

Hi,

The normal floppies are 1.44 Mb.

But I compressed them to about 3.00 Mb using DRIVESPACE programme when I was in the WINDOWS SE, There are some correspondances in them

Now I have upgraded to the WINDOWS XP and I can not access those files in the compressed floppies. There is no programmes such as the DRIVESPACE in the XP and I do not wish to go back to the SE.

Please advise.

Regards.

Narendra.
    Narendra

If you have Virtual PC or VMWare you can load DOS or Win9x into a virtual machine and enable drivespace/doublespace and read the disks. You could alternatively dual boot DOS or Win9x.
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Hi,

Thank you very much for your reply.

Sound complicated, VMWARE & VIRTUAL PC. But I'll try.

For dual booting, I need to install WINDOWS 98 first, then the XP.

This is also difficult.

regards.

Narendra.
      Narendra

Comment

Originally posted by Narendra
        Sound complicated, VMWARE & VIRTUAL PC.
        Its not. I have Virtual PC 2004, MS has a habit of giving it away at MSDN and Technet events. Anyway, it's very simple to use and in my opinion much less of a headache than dual booting.

Originally posted by Narendra
        For dual booting, I need to install WINDOWS 98 first, then the XP.
        Assuming your hdd is formatted as Fat32 you don't need to install XP first. Just install Win98 then boot to the XP cd and load the recovery console and type in FIXBOOT. This will replace the Win98 boot info with the XP bootloader.

If you have NTFS you'll need to resize your partition then load Win98 into the newly created free space. Here's a free apps that allow you to do a non-destructive resize of your drive. http://www.snapfiles.com/get/pciclone.html I've used it before and it works quite well, especially considering its free.
        Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Thank you very much for your reply, Ahinson.

I am new to the computing and slowly learning abou VIRTUAL PC and VMWARE.

But I will.

Regards.
          Narendra

Comment

Working...
          X