Copy a HDD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copy a HDD

We installed a new version of Sage a while back, but the installation failed. We did everything we could to figure out what was wrong (even rang Sage) but they could figure out what was wrong (but i recovered the system with an ASR taken exactly before). Anyway, i believe it to be a configuration setting on the users PC but seeing as it's critical to the business, we can't afford time to look at it in detail, so my question is:

What would be the most effective way to copy the Hard Drive so we can test it on a different PC?

This PC has XP SP2 on it but the machine itself is rather old, and because we don't have another PC of the same model, and ASR is out of the question (i believe)
    changed

Re: Copy a HDD

I believe Acronis can do a copy and allow it to be plonked on to a box that has different hardware. Don't know what version or even if their is a trial copy. Nice weekend research job for you.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
      I believe Acronis can do a copy and allow it to be plonked on to a box that has different hardware. Don't know what version or even if their is a trial copy. Nice weekend research job for you.
      aye, i'll give it an experiment and report back (if it does have a free trial)
      changed

Comment

If you have the time and motivation to play, you can move the computer to a virtual VMWare machine.
        This method has a number of advantages:
        - you will have the original problematic system, to run tests on it and try to understand what went wrong;
        - the conversion process is based on free tools and it is hardware-independent;
        - the virtual machine allows you to undo changes, meaning you can do several tries on the same installation.

You can find all the info you need on Petri's site, under Virtualization.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Nice bit of lateral thinking.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Yes absolutely wanna do the testing VMware rocks.

Comment

You may want to have a look at this

http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/

Comment

wow, that's a great idea, i'll definitely suggest it

by any chance, can it be used in Microsoft's Virtual PC?
                Last edited by Luke Murgatroyd; 2nd April 2007, 14:26.
                changed

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Murgatroyd View Post
                  wow, that's a great idea, i'll definitely suggest it

by any chance, can it be used in Microsoft's Virtual PC?
                  I'm not too sure

Comment

Yes it can.

Comment

Originally posted by usits View Post
                      Yes it can.
                      Hmmmmm. This is a rather strange answer, usits. Kinda difficult to answer only with YES or NO. It would be nice if you'd provide us (and the future generations) with some additional info.
                      As far as I know, the only free Microsoft solution for P2V (Physical to Virtual) conversion works with Virtual Server 2005 (that is also free). Actually, there are some OEM solutions for different vendors (like HP, for instance), but they are nor free, neither useful in our case - we are talking about a rather old PC here.
                      Anyway, there is the Virtual Server Migration Toolkit , that works with Virtual Server 2005 (as I already said). The tool uses Automated Deployment Services, and looks a lot more complicated than the VMWare Converter counterpart.
                      I myself never used VMST, so cannot tell anything about it.
                      It might be a good thing to check with the professionals in the Virtualization forum.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                      -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
                        Hmmmmm. This is a rather strange answer, usits. Kinda difficult to answer only with YES or NO. It would be nice if you'd provide us (and the future generations) with some additional info.
                        As far as I know, the only free Microsoft solution for P2V (Physical to Virtual) conversion works with Virtual Server 2005 (that is also free). Actually, there are some OEM solutions for different vendors (like HP, for instance), but they are nor free, neither useful in our case - we are talking about a rather old PC here.
                        Anyway, there is the Virtual Server Migration Toolkit , that works with Virtual Server 2005 (as I already said). The tool uses Automated Deployment Services, and looks a lot more complicated than the VMWare Converter counterpart.
                        I myself never used VMST, so cannot tell anything about it.
                        It might be a good thing to check with the professionals in the Virtualization forum.
                        From what i can tell it only supports server operating systems like 2003/2000 etc. where as i want it for XP, i read the frequently asked questions:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...n/vsmtfaq.mspx

i really do appreciate all the help though guys, and using Virtual PC was a genius idea.

although i'd like it if usits replied
                        changed

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Murgatroyd View Post
                          using Virtual PC was a genius idea.
                          Hey, Luke.
                          Are you going to use VirtualPC? Despite that it does not has a P2V solution? Or did you meant that going Virtual (meaning: using VMWare) was a good idea?

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
                            Hey, Luke.
                            Are you going to use VirtualPC? Despite that it does not has a P2V solution? Or did you meant that going Virtual (meaning: using VMWare) was a good idea?
                            Well, i haven't had much exprience with the whole Virtual side of things so using anything like this would never have crossed my mind, like someone said, it was a great piece of lateral thinking, like a Vulcan.

But unfortunately, using this idea has been temporarily suspended because someone spilled tea on my laptop while i was out.

The keyboard and screen are both kaput, but it sounds like it still boots, i'd like to be able to use the "Fn + F5" combo to make the laptop appear on the monitor that is plugged in, but the keyboard is unusable. Is there a similar shortcut on a normal kayboard that can be plugged in? (i don't have any spare laptops of the same type and i really need the data on the HDD)
                            changed

Comment

Remove HDD from laptop. Connect to a 2" to 3" converter and connect it to a normal PC. If you have a 2" USB HDD case, use that and remove your data that way. If USB doesn't work, put jumper on the appropriate pins to make it a Master and then try USB connection again.
                              1 1 was a racehorse.
                              2 2 was 1 2.
                              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                              X