X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VNC and router question

I have found this guide by the use of google:

http://samsite999.blogspot.com/2006/...te-access.html

And i was just unclear on one thing, i can set up all the port forwarding on my end ok, but if i try to connect on my friends PC (across the internet) and he is behind a router too, will i have to configure his accordingly? or will the router realise that a PC on the inside is requesting this and let the connection through?
    changed

Re: VNC and router question

So as I understand it, you want your friend to remtely control your own computer using VNC with port forwarding on your router to allow him/her in ?

In which case, your friend needs no changes to his configuration. Port forwarding on your own router is sufficient.

If I understand you the wrong way around, just configure port forwarding on HIS router not yours and swap all my comments around.

Security: Please make sure you have very strong password for VNC and that you (A) change the password often and that (B) you do not leave VNC server running on your PC all the time - run it only when you want to allow your friend to get in.
    Best wishes,
    PaulH.
    MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Why not use Remote Desktop?
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

BTW, RDP is slower than RADMIN, in my personal opinion.
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

you need ports 5900 and 5800.
          "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
            Why not use Remote Desktop?
            i'd like to connect to the current session open though, can this be done with RDP?
            changed

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Murgatroyd View Post
              i'd like to connect to the current session open though, can this be done with RDP?
              no, only vnc can do that
              "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

And RAdmin, at least version 2.1 could, so I imagine the long awaited version 3.0 will also but I can't say for sure.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Yes, Ive used RAdmin a lot - it's faster than VNC and you don't get anything like the mouse lag.
                  Best wishes,
                  PaulH.
                  MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

I have used Ultra VNC, Real VNC and Tight VNC. So far I think Real and Ultra are the best. I also use Ultra VNC single click edition it works great.

Comment

If you're using RealVNC Free over the internet, STOP NOW.

It has huge security holes and NO ENCRYPTION of ANYTHING - including passwords. If you're using VNC over the internet, buy the Enterprise version before you configure any port forwarding. VNC Free is one of the first things script kiddies look for when they want to mess about with machines because it is so security-free. They will be on your machine in a SECOND.

Tom
                      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post

It has huge security holes and NO ENCRYPTION of ANYTHING - including passwords. If you're using VNC over the internet, buy the Enterprise version before you configure any port forwarding. VNC Free is one of the first things script kiddies look for when they want to mess about with machines because it is so security-free. They will be on your machine in a SECOND.
                        Agreed. Be stupid at your own risk.
                        though ultraVNC has encryption and integrated authentication plug-ins.
                        Personally I use a VPN.

Comment

Alright, thanks (also this is for personal use, not work) i'll give Ultra a try then
                          changed

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post

No using it via VPN.

Comment

Sorry that wasn't actually aimed at you mate I can see why you thought it was though. That was aimed at Luke...

Tom
                              For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Working...
                              X