Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remotely open Internet explorer

Hi Guys,

we have some util that uses a PROXY, some times the connection is broken and you must open your browser press OK for proxy authentication and all is working,
    I want to give our supervisor the option to do it by himself, i thought about giving him RDP access to the server, but is there another way to open IE remotely, or schedule a task to open IE automaticlly + press the OK button?
    I prefer that the supervisor will do it when there is a problem.

Thanks,
    Retaliator
    Thanks & Regards

Retaliator

MCSA/MCSE/CCNA
    Computer Science Graduate

Re: Remotely open Internet explorer

Sorry but that doesn't make a word of sense to me. You want to have another try at explaining your situation?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Okay, i will rephrase.

I want to give the option to a user, to open internet explorer on a computer (server, win 2003 specific), without giving him RDP access, i need that user to open the browser, hit OK for the proxy authentication box, and that's all.
      The only option on my mind is giving him RDP access to that server, and that's a bit too much.
      So all i need is find a way to REMOTELY open Internet Explorer on that server.
      The server is in our computer room, not near that user .

Thanks,
      Retaliator.
      Thanks & Regards

Retaliator

MCSA/MCSE/CCNA

Comment

Hey, dude.
        You can open an application from remote, but you cannot click on the OK button this way...
        What you can do is to create an RDP connection that doesn't give the user the whole Desktop, but runs the IE instead.
        Never tested it, but it should work.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
          Hey, dude.
          You can open an application from remote, but you cannot click on the OK button this way...
          What you can do is to create an RDP connection that doesn't give the user the whole Desktop, but runs the IE instead.
          Never tested it, but it should work.
          Hi my friend,

how can i open an application from remote? perhaps we can code a program for pressing the OK button.

Retaliator
          Thanks & Regards

Retaliator

MCSA/MCSE/CCNA

Comment

Shourly the answer would be to find out why the application is prompting you to press OK?

go back to the proxy software vendor and ensure you at the most current version and then ask them for help.

Michael
            Michael Armstrong
            www.m80arm.co.uk
            MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

The application does not ask for the OK button,
              it's an automatic application sending SMS, EMAILS and so to customers, and the server is turning to the Internet through proxy, and sometimes it's not working until you open the browser, then the proxy dialog appears and you must enter OK to authenticate..
              This way, it's returning to work.
              The proxy is not mine so i have nothing to do about it, but soon enough i will have my own proxy.

Retaliator.
              Thanks & Regards

Retaliator

MCSA/MCSE/CCNA

Comment

You can run a process remotely with PSExec. See the site for exact use.
                But, as Michael (m80arm) said, this is a workaround. To solve the problem, you will have to find the reason you need to renew the authentication against the proxy. This will be the real solution.
                Meanwhile, you can use the workaround, but it should be temporarily.
                Last edited by sorinso; 26th March 2007, 15:56. Reason: typos

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                -

Comment

Thanks

Retaliator
                  Thanks & Regards

Retaliator

MCSA/MCSE/CCNA

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso
                    you will have to find the reason you need to renew the authentication against the proxy.
                    Yes that "utill" should be able to logon it self, so provide it with the right credentials with the PROXY's IP.

Or, you can store a little script on the server. That script opens IE and subsequently sendkeys=Enter to the active display. After that it can close all IE processes on the server again.

Now you can, on the supervisors computer, create a script that remotely launch on the server a scheduled job. Within two minutes, that job runs the other script on (and from) the server.

But the script on the supervisor computer must runas a domain admin (or you must give the supervisor's account permissions to create and run a scheduled job on the server).
                    So easier would be to create on the server a permanent scheduled job. The server it self then wil run the 'open IE script' every, lets say, two minutes (select advanced scheduler).

I dont know if this script will work in youre case, but you can test it on the server
                    Code:
                    ' - - - process parameters - - -
                    sPROCESSpath     = "c:\program files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe"
                    sPROCESSswitches = "-new www.microsoft.com"    '<----used for recognizing the right IE_instance to kill
                    ' - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

strKeys          = "~"   '<---- =Enter for the logon popup

set objShell = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")
                    sPROCname = Right(sPROCESSpath,len(sPROCESSpath)-InStrRev(sPROCESSpath,"\"))
                    strPROCcmdline = chr(34) & sPROCESSpath & chr(34) & "  " & sPROCESSswitches
                    objShell.run(strPROCcmdline)

WScript.Sleep 3333   '<----is the amount of miliseconds it takes to open IE and the PROXY-display to popup

'[remove first quote to activate this line]  objShell.AppActivate sPROCname  '<--- fill in the "process" (between double quotes) from the logonscreen (?) 
                    objShell.Sendkeys strKeys 

WScript.Sleep 3333  '<--- wait xx miliseconds to close IE again

strComputer = "."
                      Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" _
                        & "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" _ 
                        & strComputer & "\root\cimv2") 

Set colProcess = objWMIService.ExecQuery _
                        ("Select * from Win32_Process Where Name = '" & sPROCname & "'")

on error resume next
                      For Each objProcess in colProcess
                          IF Replace(UCase(Trim(objProcess.CommandLine))," ", "") = Replace(UCase(Trim(strPROCcmdline))," ", "") _
                          Then objProcess.Terminate()
                      Next 
                    set objShell = Nothing
                    wscript.quit
                    \Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
                    and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Rems, as I do not know what's possible with scripts, would it still be safe to run this script while logged on to the server and performing admin tasks? I'm thinking about that sendkey stuff.
                      Also, does a user need to be logged on to run the script or can you open a window when no one is logged on?

Please enlighten me
                      Regards,
                      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

The script should work on the server harmless most times (and do activate script line 15*).
                        But during performing admin tasks it is adviseable to stop all scheduled tasks. And specially this script, yes!

What the sendkeys does is "simulating" a 'Enter'-keystroke, on the active window.

The active window is normally the last windows that is opened, and in this case that is aspected to be the dialog-display for the proxy that pops-up after IE is started. (And I hope the default button on the PROXY-logonscreen is the [OK]-button, because the "enter" that is sent by sendkeys will efective on the default button only).

Sendkeys in this script performs an "Enter" after IE is started by the same script, if no PROXY-box popped-up then the ENTER is sent to the webpaged opend by IE, in this case www .microsoft.com, nothing wil happen.

The line I deactivated (*line 15) will (re-)activate the IE screen just before the "Enter" is send. In the sample script I de-activated that line because I don't know if it possibly might deactivate the PROXY pop-up. If the pop-up is a seperate process (check with taskmanager) then type the name of the process on that line and activate the line.

But to be honest, I think you are right about that the user should be logged-on if you scheduled that script.
                        Even if the job is configured to be executed by the administrator while it is not logged-on. And even if the script also is executed by this command line:
                        wscript.exe //I scriptname.vbs
                        I don't think a PROXY box wil pop-up if the user is not logged-on.

Sinds answering that PROXY pop-up is the big issue here, I can see no other alternative then to
                        - use RDP (and there is a change you might have to use the /console switch w/ it to see the pop-up?), and you might need to use the Administrator account for the permissions for the PROXY?
                        - Or we must be able to schedule directly a logon to the proxyserver some way.
                        - Or make sure the connection cannot time-out by... 'pinging' an internet address periodically???

But like m80arm said (Im quoting sorinso now), these are workarounds, and not a solution.
                        And like I mentioned in my previous message, the script was experimental. And now after reading Jeremy notes, we know this script is far from the best workaround so far.
                        (This method to run a script on a remote computer to perform a task remotely from the computer it self, I use sometimes for logged-on workstations, as a way to incidentally start a particular -service, -application or to 'send a messages to the user'. I never had to use 'sendkeys' in combination with such a kind of script though.
                        But running someting like this on a server is an other story, there are other conditions to consider)

Thanks Jeremy for pointing us on this.

So...
                        We better need to know more about that "util", why it cannot open the connection by it self.(like maybe you can change which account is running its service or check if extra options can be set for the "util" ???)

\RemS

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
                        and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Working...
                        X