HP JetDirect 170X Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HP JetDirect 170X Question

Hi Guys, i have an HP JetDirect 170X External Network Card connected to an OLD printer, the IP of the printer is configured correctly on the network card, but the subnet mask and Default Gateway are incorrectly configured, i can't telnet to the card or do anything, unless i will reset the network card which i don't want to, is there a way to overcome this issue? the ip is on my network, and the def. gateway is set to 192.0.0.192
    I know it sounds impossible but who knows
    Just trying to do this without touching the card.

Thanks, Retaliator.
    Thanks & Regards

Retaliator

MCSA/MCSE/CCNA
    Computer Science Graduate

Re: HP JetDirect 170X Question

After i sent this email, i realized i can try and use the HP WEB Jetadmin Util,
    Will let you know ..
    Thanks & Regards

Retaliator

MCSA/MCSE/CCNA

Comment

Too bad this ain't working.
      Thanks & Regards

Retaliator

MCSA/MCSE/CCNA

Comment

What kind of printer is it??

And you should also be able to use Web Admin to get to it.

Give me a few minutes and i'll install it on my machine as its been that long since i've used it.
        Last edited by wullieb1; 15th March 2007, 17:18.

Comment

you're EMAILING this forum?
          ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi, everyone.
            The product Retaliator speaks about is a small print server, used to network an otherwise parallel-only printer. More info here: http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en...302-27317.html.
            If I understand right, Retaliator, the IP address is as it should be, but the SM and GW don't. If so, you can go to one of the computers in the same subnet as the JetDirect box and try to access the box through browser: http://[JetDirect IP Address] . The device contains an embedded web server, it should give you the possibility to change the details you want. This, of course, if you have the administrator password (if you don't, it will be a good thing to put one in place).
            Hope this helps, my friend.
            Keep us posted.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -

Comment

Hi Sorin,

I have tried but the def gateway is wrong and thats my problem.. i tried the Web Admin but it won't update.

Retaliator.
              Thanks & Regards

Retaliator

MCSA/MCSE/CCNA

Comment

Originally posted by Wired View Post
                you're EMAILING this forum?
                What do you mean?
                Thanks & Regards

Retaliator

MCSA/MCSE/CCNA

Comment

Originally posted by Retaliator View Post
                  After i sent this email, i realized i can try and use the HP WEB Jetadmin Util,
                  Will let you know ..
                  This is what he means. It's a poke at your typo.
                  Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Ohh, i meant after i sent this post.. not email..
                    Thanks & Regards

Retaliator

MCSA/MCSE/CCNA

Comment

Take a laptop configure it with the same exact settings as that jet direct card but make sure the IP's don't match. Connect the laptop to that jet direct via cross over cable and then try to log in via web or telnet.

If that does not work reset it, it takes 5 min to re configure a jet direct card.

Comment

Isn't there a small spot on the back(?) of this device that if you insert a paperclip and hold it for 30 seconds it reverts it to factory settings? Then it either picks up a dynamic IP or it uses the default 192.168.1.254 (not sure on the default IP. It has been a while since paperclip and I have worked together).
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

There is actually a small button that you can press with your fingers on these jet directs 170x and 175x and plug the power in. Hold that button for like 10 seconds and then release it.
                          That will reset it. These jet directs once initialized (with the factory defaults) get the IP address of 192.0.0.192 with the subnet of 255.255.255.0

Comment

As Retaliator said, reseting the device is the last option.
                            @Retaliator: the DG is relevant when the destination IP is not on the same subnet as the source IP, and this is determined by the SM. You said the SM is also not right. You know what it is? Can you arrange a computer to be on the same subnet with your device?
                            If so, you should be able to connect to it's web server. If the device's IP was out of your range, I would advice you to connect both the device and the computer to another hub/switch and create there a subnet. But you say the IP is right.
                            Tell me if you need more assistance.

Added: usits adviced in post #11 practically the same, only given the fact that the IP is correct, connecting to the device from a computer on the same subnet is possible.
                            Last edited by sorinso; 16th March 2007, 06:30.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                            -

Comment

I'm running Jet Admin version 6.2 and i've just ran a discovery and it found all of my devices quite happily.

If i remember from a long long time ago it runs its discovery on the MAC address, this i could be very wrong on though, as it seems to stick in my mind that i could configure it whilst it was connected to a network with its default address.

Comment

Working...
                              X