Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd drive is not accessible

I hope someone can help me.
    I tried searching the archives but I may not have phrased it right.

Anyways I came home from a trip to the store and my computer was off. My ups battery had died and I had not replaced it yet so we must have had a small power outage and the system had shut off.
    Start up system as normal. No Chkdsk like when an unexpected shutdown occurs.
    runs fine and I start some work and go to access some files in my D: drive (slave) it pops up with
    "D:\ in not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."

So I do a couple of chdsk /f and /r d: through the run command and nothing. Doesn't run at all. just a quick blink and nothing.
    I'm going to try it at the dos prompt and safe mode but I think I might be hosed.
    It's a fairly new drive maybe 18 months old so I can't see it crapping out so soon.
    Maxtor 6Y160PO160 GB. Warrenty is done (1 yr)
    Win XP sees it just won't let me in and reports it as zero bytes under properties both used and free space. File system RAW and colors the drive blue as fully used up. Under Hardware it says the device is working properly.
    I hope you can help me as ALL my photos from the last 6 years are on this drive.
    I promise to back them up on DVD as soon as I get up and running again!!!

Re: 2nd drive is not accessible

Your Maxtor PN didn't Google for me so I don't know if it's SATA or IDE or ??? but the (slave) comment indicates IDE.

Have you tried plugging it in to a different channel (slave off the CD/DVD on IDE 2 or ???)

Also, tried switching power connectors to the drive?

Do open the case and pull the drive out of the bay so you can put your ear to it when it starts up / is accessed by the BIOS / OS. Does it spin up then you get several clicks then it spins down? That's bad.

If problems persists and all hope is lost, I have recovered drives before by either 1) freezing them for several hours or 2) setting them in the sun and baking them (low temp on the oven may work too)

Realize these are extreme solutions and should be only tried when all else fails and you have lost all hope.
    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Yes it's IDE.
      I also tried the differnet channel. It is found by the OS even when it was moved to the middle of the second channel and still calls it D drive.
      It spins up when powered on and stays spinning. Different power leads too.
      Don't know about the oven thing as it was quite warm when I moved it. Could try tthe freezing. I'll just open the patio door and put it on the shelf beside the bar-b-que. It's -8C here so it's shouldn't take too long. LOL

I don't think it is mechanical as it tells me the directory is corrupted and unreadable but still is recognized by the OS.
      Don't hard drives have a directory that tells the system where the files are kept on the drive? I thought I read somewhere where that can be rebuilt.
      Thanks all!

Comment

Well then maybe the oven / freezing bit is not for you just yet.

I saw a post recently on hard drive recovery, don't recall it unfortunately.

When yo go into My Computer\Manage\Disk Management, I take it the partition sizes does not look proper? Maybe a screen shot of that would help?
        Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Hmmm I can get a screen shot and paste it into word but how do I get it on the forum?

Comment

Save the screen shot as a JPG (use Paint) and attach it using the paperclip on the toolbar (to the right of the smiling face).

Please post in the standard font, I find the one you used very hard to read. Ta.

Try Maxtor 6Y160P0 160 http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...P0+160&spell=1
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

It looks to me like the FAT table has been messed up.

What you could try doing is to take a ghost image or any image of the drive.

This should hopefully allow you to access any documents.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	463039
                Got it. Had to really cut this down as I have 2 monitors with the desk spread over both.Click image for larger version

Name:	screen shot 2.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	463040

If the fat table is messed up I'm positive I've heard that it can be rebuilt.
                I just can't remember where.
                If I can't access the files how could I make a ghost image?

Comment

You could always try Spinrite - recovered data for me twice.

Simon

Comment

Did Spinrite fix the MFT so the disk was usable again or did you have to move all your data?
                    Anyone use a product called Restorer 200 Pro?
                    I subscribe to a ezine called Windows secrets. Fred Langa writes for them and in his own ezine (he merged with Windows secrets) he had a blurb on them. I'm running a demo of the program right now and will let you know if it can fix it. Not a bad price if it does 49.95 USD.
                    They tell you in big letters first to run it in demo mode before paying for it so you'll know if it will fix your problem. Don't see that too often.

Comment

Sounds like a decent deal based solely on the demo bit. Search the net and DejaNews (oops -- Google News) on them.

If nothing bad, I would consider the demo mode bit myself but I'm not the one that lost the only copy of all my picts.

In otherwords, be very careful!!!
                      Cheers,

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie57 View Post
                        [ATTACH]1313[/ATTACH]
                        Got it. Had to really cut this down as I have 2 monitors with the desk spread over both.[ATTACH]1314[/ATTACH]

If the fat table is messed up I'm positive I've heard that it can be rebuilt.
                        I just can't remember where.
                        If I can't access the files how could I make a ghost image?
                        By booting from a floppy disk wit a copy of ghost on it

Comment

Agree 100% he should back this thing up in "sector-by-sector" mode in case any mucking he does goes badly.
                          Cheers,

Rick

Comment

Well it works. It allows me to see everything on it and even found files I had deleted about amonth or so ago.
                            It will allow me to save an image of the files or even copy the files themselve to other media.
                            I have a some questions into their support people. Like will it fix the MFT table
                            (thats what Microbucks says is the problem)?
                            If I get everything I want off of the drive can I reformat it again and reuse it?. I don't believe its munged physically just the MFT file.
                            Microbucks says to fix it run chkdsk with a /r or /f switch. I tried that and the command window popped up and disappeared so fast I'd have to have been Data from Trek to have read it.
                            I haven't shut down the system since I ran the chkdsk so I'm going to reboot and see if that helps.
                            Pray for me

Comment

When you run chkdsk, run it from the Command Prompt. My guess is you clicked Start, Run, chkdsk and clicked OK. Try Start, Run, cmd, OK and then chkdsk. It makes things a bit more visible.
                              1 1 was a racehorse.
                              2 2 was 1 2.
                              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                              X