Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to wipe a Laptop before disposal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to wipe a Laptop before disposal?

We have a laptop with a broken screen that needs disposing of. We know all thew software and documetns that are on it. Because the screen is broken, we can't really wipe it in command prompt etc.

we also can't put the HDD in another laptop because it is very old and we have none like it

suggestions on the best way to wipe it clean?
    changed

Re: Best way to wipe a Laptop before disposal?

Take out the hard disk and drill a hole through it, or smash the hard disk with a hammer. This is by far the best way to secure data prior to disposal, even if you could see the screen, this way is best.
    Best wishes,
    PaulH.
    MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

With a soft non alcoholic cloth or wipes

I use this to wipe all drives on any machine i use.

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

Comment

LOL wullieb1! Best ever,
        Best wishes,
        PaulH.
        MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
          With a soft non alcoholic cloth or wipes

I use this to wipe all drives on any machine i use.

http://dban.sourceforge.net/
          Thief!! That is my line.

Why not plug the laptop into a normal monitor so you can see what you are doing and run a wipe program on it. Or, have some fun and smash the crap out of it.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
            Thief!! That is my line.

Why not plug the laptop into a normal monitor so you can see what you are doing and run a wipe program on it. Or, have some fun and smash the crap out of it.
            If your not fast your last my friend.

Comment

well, upper management wanted it destroyed, but lower techies managed to convince them to keep it because the HDD was only 2 months old! (i had no knowledge of this) so i put the HDD in may laptop, booted it from an XP disk, and formatted it that way, it doesn't need anything more doing to it seeing as we are keeping it

i tried that and it didn't work so i believe it could be the graphics chip instead, but because the laptop is so old, it's not worth repairing it

thanks for all your help guys, i'll save this for future HDD destroying needs (especially wullie's suggestion )
              changed

Comment

we once made a periscope with the internals of a harddrive (Mainly the disks)

It worked well and was used to peer out the window of our office in a stealth like mannor.

Michael
                Michael Armstrong
                www.m80arm.co.uk
                MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by m80arm View Post
                  we once made a periscope with the internals of a harddrive (Mainly the disks)

It worked well and was used to peer out the window of our office in a stealth like mannor.

Michael
                  Wow someone was bored that day eh!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                    Wow someone was bored that day eh!!!!!
                    yip - I miss those days!!!
                    Michael Armstrong
                    www.m80arm.co.uk
                    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

I bet you do.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Murgatroyd View Post

i tried that and it didn't work so i believe it could be the graphics chip instead, but because the laptop is so old, it's not worth repairing it
                        You usually need to select the option to run it through a monitor. Hold down Fn key and cycle through F5 on some laptops (it is F8 on my Asus). There is usually 3 options. Laptop screen only, attached monitor only, both laptop and monitor. RTFM of any laptop and learn how to use the option. It becomes very handy to know how to use that option in situations like yours.
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

You usually need to select the option to run it through a monitor. Hold down Fn key and cycle through F5 on some laptops (it is F8 on my Asus). There is usually 3 options. Laptop screen only, attached monitor only, both laptop and monitor. RTFM of any laptop and learn how to use the option. It becomes very handy to know how to use that option in situations like yours.
                          trust me, i tried this, that's why i believe it to be the graphics chip and not the screen

update: a colleague took it home and took it apart (in his spare time) and the chip is indeed busted, but it's integrated into the motherboard so that's going to cost about 60 to replace

management decided to let him keep it to tinker with
                          changed

Comment

Working...
                          X