Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Damaged Hard disk - looking for something to read it..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damaged Hard disk - looking for something to read it..

Errrr.... I am almost too embarrassed to post this...

Basically, I have a hard disk that seems to have no partitons, though it was functioning as a bootable disk on an XP Home machine.

It had a corrupt file, not allowing it to boot, so I replaced the hard disk and was going to mount the old disk as a second drive - not bootable, but I should have been able to get the files off it.

Now it seems like it's lost the partitions, it's completely unreadable, though I think it's physically OK.

It's from my home pc (actually, it's the wife's) and I got a bit lazy about backing up. Now it's gone and I have tried all the tricks I know to try and get it back.

Does anyone know of any utility that I can use to try and read the disk to see what's on it ? All the usual stuff I have needs to see the partition first.

I am attempting to avoid the $1500 disk recovery from Ontrack...

I know, I know... I have my own backup business too, so please don't go on about how important backups are...

Any advice muchly appreciated.

Neil
    Neil Mac

Re: Damaged Hard disk - looking for something to read it..

Hi, neilmac.
    It happens to the best. We're here to help.
    Does the BIOS recognizes the disk?
    If so, try BartPE. It's a nice, free, full of goodies LiveCD. Try one of the forensic tools (data recovery, hex editors...)
    If not, does the disk spin-up at startup? It's electronics might be damaged. (I assume that you already double-checked the connections, and are OK). You can take the board from other, identical disk and see what's going on.
    Hope this will help. Please keep the forum posted.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

This product is excellent. I have done many successful recoveries from it. As long as the drive is not physically damaged.
      http://www.runtime.org/

If you still can't do it, let me know I know some one who does data recovery and will be much cheaper. Cheers

Comment

And it has plugins for BartPE!

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Originally posted by usits View Post
          This product is excellent. I have done many successful recoveries from it. As long as the drive is not physically damaged.
          http://www.runtime.org/

If you still can't do it, let me know I know some one who does data recovery and will be much cheaper. Cheers
          Thanks, Guys.

None of this seems to have worked, so it looks like I will have to send the disk off.

OK, so what options do you have for companies that recover files (I am looking to reduce the inevitable OUCH factor I know is coming...)

-Neil
          Neil Mac

Comment

PM me and I'll give you the contact information of a guy.

Comment

Neil.
              Does the system at least recognize that the drive is connected?
              If it does I'm currently using a program called Restorer 2000 Pro and it's fantastic.
              A little more than I want to spend on a program ( I'm really cheap! ) but I have relatives that will pay hehehehe when I fix their screwups.
              I'm currently pulling off all the files to a dvd from it. It even found files that I had purposely deleted months ago.
              Hope this helps you out. $50 compared to $1500. Hmmmm no brainer!

Comment

Thanks to you all for your help.

Circumstances being what they were, I ended up having to send the disk off.

However, someone suggested afterwards that if the disk can be read in part, then it might be possible to image it and then restore the image to a good working disk and read the files from there...

Anyway, I will make sure I don't get caught out like this again (VERY sheepish grin...)

I am also going to have a good look at all of these software suggestions, they all seem to be valuable tools.

Thanks again to you all.

Neil
                Neil Mac

Comment

Working...
                X