No announcement yet.

XP Upgrade failure

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP Upgrade failure

This is more of an observation I thought I would share.

I started a major SBS 2003 install for a real estate company last weekend involving two location, 40 workstations and a VPN tunnel.

Many of the client computers had XP home installed so the owners purchased many OEM XP Professional upgrades.

In cases where the XP Home user had upgraded to Internet Explorer 7, the XP Pro upgrade fails at activation. A moobe.exe error (Microsoft Out of Box Expereince) error is generated and the activation never completes.

If the client had IE 6, the upgrade installs successfully.
    Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Re: XP Upgrade failure

That's interesting. So how did you end up activating the upgrades?

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond

Re: XP Upgrade failure

The network install did not include upgrading the XP Home computers. There is too much than can go wrong on an old installation and I did not want to get involved in that aspect of the network. If they were brand new computers out of the box, that would be a different story.

The real estate company hired someone after hours to do some of the upgrades. Some of the agents went to their computer retailer to have the upgrade installed.

In all four cases so far I advised the customer they would have to get the issue resolved before I could continue. I backed up data on three of the computers anticipating a full install.
      Network Engineers do IT under the desk