IDE to USB Conversion but Unable to Access

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IDE to USB Conversion but Unable to Access

I recently took a 120 GB hardrive from a machine and put it in a "case" converting it to USB. Using disk management I can see it, it is healthy and active, also online. Still, I cannot access it? Any suggetions? No volume name or location shows.

Re: IDE to USB Conversion but Unable to Access

Can you format the drive via disk management?

I would have though Windows would have all the drivers to see the device as a USB external drive.

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

If I right click I am only given the option to delete the partition, but I don't want to do this because I need files on it from the other machine. I can't seem to format it

Thanks
      DennisF

Comment

Was it originally a NTFS partition? You never had linux or some unix type OS installed did you?

Michael
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

No. The disk came from a machine with Windows XP just like the new one. Could it be the jumper needs to change to a slave drive? I didn't think so since it is going through the USB port

DennisF

Comment

Could well be. If you put the drive back into an XP machine can you access the drive? If so then it's a problem with how it's configured for USB.

Were there no instructions with the USB enclosure? - advising on how to configure the drive?

Michael
            Michael Armstrong
            www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

I had the same thing happen to me once. It was a simple fix though. Just had to assign it a drive letter. For some reason it wasn't getting a drive letter automatically. After I assigned it, I was able to access it via explorer.
              Hope this helps
              cheers

Comment

From what you're saying, sounds like the solution is in what usits said.
                And don't change the jumper to Slave, most cases/converters need the HD jumpered as Master.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
                  And don't change the jumper to Slave, most cases/converters need the HD jumpered as Master.
                  I agree, my converter's manual says the same thing.

Comment

Working...
                  X