How to ENABLE USB flash drives for all users

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to ENABLE USB flash drives for all users

This thread on these forums deals specifically with denying access to any user the use of a USB Flash drive. I have the opposite problem.

In our environment we need to allow our researchers to use any USB flash drive on any of the shared equipment computers. The problem is that they are restricted users and cannot install software/drivers/devices. Many new ones work off the bat but sometimes there will be an odd device that asks you to install the default XP drivers, which requires an Administrator to come manually authorize it.

I've tried going the route of changing the local policy to allow all users to install devices and I've change the permissions on USBSTOR and corresponding inf files. I cannot for the life of me find any info that goes the opposite way of denying their use.

Any ideas?

Re: How to ENABLE USB flash drives for all users

Can't you add them to the Power Users group on their local workstation?

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Bulk purchase the USB Flash Device so everyone has the SAME device.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

I've considered the all power users route, but I've held back. I don't really want to dole out that much power.

As for bulk purchasing the drives, that's not really an option in this situation.

Comment

Originally posted by slincoln View Post
          Thanks for the replies.

I've considered the all power users route, but I've held back. I don't really want to dole out that much power.

As for bulk purchasing the drives, that's not really an option in this situation.
          I don't think Power Users really gives them THAT much power... just the ability to install and uninstall device drivers and change the system clock. You can remove the ability to change the clock via either local security policy or GPO.

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

They can do a bit more than change the clock. It may be the only choice but I'd like to try to find another way before relaxing on this.

Power Users can:
            • Run legacy applications, in addition to Windows 2000 or Windows XP Professional certified applications.
            • Install programs that do not modify operating system files or install system services.
            • Customize systemwide resources including printers, date, time, power options, and other Control Panel resources.
            • Create and manage local user accounts and groups.
            • Stop and start system services which are not started by default.
            ^From MS

Comment

We are also currently having the same issue. We need to enable restricted users to be able to plug in USB flash drives and use them. We have noticed that, if you plug in the drive, then cancel/ok all the messages that pop up, the drive is still mounted as r/w, and can be accessed. We need the messages to go away. Simply bumping security defeats the entire purpose of security. This is something that should have an on/off switch that can be set by the administrator. I found a thread on the MS web sites.....it was posted in 2003, and there had been ZERO replies....Does MS just plan on ignoring this?

Comment

Working...
              X