Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacing 60Gbte Primary PATA drive with 500 Gbte SATA drive ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing 60Gbte Primary PATA drive with 500 Gbte SATA drive ?

I hope this is the appropriate Forum for this POST - if not , then apologies!

I have a Primary 60 Gbte PATA drive on which XP Pro SP2 boots. There is also a second 200 Gbte SATA drive which is used for some Apps and also data.

I want to swop the 60 Gbte Primary PATA drive for a new 500 Gbte SATA drive and have the present 200 Gbte SATA become the bootable drive , probably saving the replaced 60 Gbte PATA drive as an external drive.

How do I organise this ?

Would I first have to install XP Pro onto the present 200 Gbte SATA drive and make that one the bootable drive before I removed the 60 Gbte PATA drive ?

If that is the correct procedure , how do I change the bootable drive over to the 200 Gbte SATA drive after installing XP onto that drive ?

Re: Replacing 60Gbte Primary PATA drive with 500 Gbte SATA drive ?

When you install XP over the 200gb it will format all that data, so all that should be moved first to the 500gb. ALL your apps would have to reinstalled as well, since you are installing a new OS. You could save alot of headache if you kept the 60 in place and added (if you have the room) the 500 to your collection.
    There really is no shortcuts here if you want to have all your drives like you describe.
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

If I was an adventurer type (and you probably know Vulcans are not), I would clone (with tools like Ghost) the first partition from the 60GB disk to the first partition of the 200GB disk and save myself from installing the OS and all the apps from scratch.
      But I need to know more about your disk's configuration and you'll probably need additional tools (like Partition Magic)...
      Hmmm... Kinda complex and dangerous. Maybe it's better to go with Lior's reply...

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
      In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -
      «««««

Comment

AND we have no idea as to the state of the 60GB HDD. It may have been an upgrade or had a lot of software installs and removals, ie it may be a mess. Clean install may be the better option.

Sorin, why don't you just use the Vulcan Drive Meld. Should be more efficient than Ghost.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

One of our most sacred and secret vows is not to use high-level technology on low-level races. So...

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
          In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -
          «««««

Comment

Since the machine remains the same and all you are trying to do is rotate disks, I'd consider Sorin's "Adventurer" bit as you will spend a lot less time Ghosting than you will reinstalling and reconfiguring all your apps and settings -- and time is money.

Now if you current install isn't all that, a clean install as Biggles77 suggests may be the ticket.

Since I'm a big Ghost / Partition Magic user, I'd go that route unless my current install was so flaky that I was planning a re-pave regardless. Ghost 10 allows you to easily restore your disk / partition id making this process easier and helping to ensure you avoid a reactivation episode.

Only you can weigh the trade offs.

If you'd like to pursue a Ghost 10 (other editions will work -- just not up on syntax to restore the partition / disk id) solution let me know what your current partition setup is and your desired one and I'll post back the steps. No need for Partition Magic in your case.
            Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

© 2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by rvalstar View Post
              No need for Partition Magic in your case.
              Rick, my friend, don't forget that we don't know enough about the current set-up of the disks. There might be a need to free some space on the 200GB disk (that should become the boot disk) to populate it with the old boot partition.
              The ball is in OP's hands now. The more we will know, the more accurate our expertise will be.
              Let's hope for some life sign from our customer here...

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
              -
              «««««

Comment

I'm expecting he empties the 200 onto the 500 (there will be room .

Then no need for Partition Magic. Ghost can restore onto a different sized partition.
                Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

© 2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

May Zeus guide his (OP's) steps !

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
                  -
                  «««««

Comment

I'll be very interested to know what path the OP takes. A fresh OS is always, well, ...refreshing.
                    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
                      Rick, my friend, don't forget that we don't know enough about the current set-up of the disks. There might be a need to free some space on the 200GB disk (that should become the boot disk) to populate it with the old boot partition.
                      The ball is in OP's hands now. The more we will know, the more accurate our expertise will be.
                      Let's hope for some life sign from our customer here...
                      Thanks to all for the advice.

There are no problems with either the 60GB or the 200GB disks-both work perfectly and I don't really have a problem with space either - you may well ask why , in that case , did I buy another 500GB disk ! - Good question !

The reason I did is that I have a friend who lives near a Fry'S shop ( sorry - I meant "store " <g> ) in CA and , as I live in Europe , I couldn't resist the prices in CA ! As he was on a trip across the Atlantic , I took advantage of this fact and he obliged by bringing me the drive .

Now that I've got the new SATA drive I thought I could replace the older and smaller PATA drive which , inconveniently , contains XP and is the present bootable disk and was wondering what would be the simplest way of going about this.

If my present motherboard , an ASUS K8VSE Deluxe , can accomodate 3 hard drives , I will simply add this new drive to it .Whether it will support another hard drive is , of course another subject and is not part of this thread and is , at present , under separate investigation by me.

I hope this makes my situation a bit clearer.

Comment

Clean install on the new f a s t e r drive and use the old 60GB in a USB box for images. Data backups could go on the 200GB.
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

[QUOTE=sorinso;59902]If I was an adventurer type (and you probably know Vulcans are not), I would clone (with tools like Ghost) the first partition from the 60GB disk to the first partition of the 200GB disk ....

That also sounds like a possible solution. I use BootIt rather than Ghost so I'm not familiar with the latter. Is a "clone" of a partition the same thing as taking an image file of the partition ?

Comment

I am not accustomed to BootIt, and from a visit to their site I'm not certain if it is able to clone partitions.
                            You can use any tool that will allow you to clone a partition to another partition. Taking just an image from a disk can be a solution (you take the image, and then push it to the new partition), but it's not nice...
                            My advice: test your tool. If it works, you're done.

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
                            -
                            «««««

Comment

Working...
                            X