Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Streaming video server

Hi all

We want a piece of software that will allow the streaming of videos from our Virtual Learning Environment server (Windows 2003 Server). But more specifically we want students to be able to skip to a part in the movie that they want. We have tried Darwin and it doesn't work how we want. You have to sit through the whole movie waiting to watch the last 10 mins or so. Plus we want MANY videos available for selection, so not just one long stream. So far we have the movie coming down from IIS via HTTP but you cannot skip through it - even when the whole thing is buffered/downloaded.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Server 2000 MCP
    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Re: Streaming video server

Are you using Windows Media Services from Windows Server 2003?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
      Are you using Windows Media Services from Windows Server 2003?
      No - we are unsure that it will do what we want it to. Any know if it will?
      Server 2000 MCP
      Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

It should. You will just be streaming and viewing on Media Player. Once it has buffered, you should be able to go to any point of the video.

Try setting up under a Virtual and that way no damage is done to your production environment. If it works then you could just add the Virtual setup to the Domain.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Can you have many multiple streams of one video each?
          Server 2000 MCP

Comment

We left my area of Streaming expertise about 7 posts ago, but can not see why not. It is after all just reading from a HDD like a normal program. We have reading stories that have a .mov file. If run from a CD only one user at a time or it slows down to unusable or locks up. When run from HDD then multiple users can access the same .mov file at once.

I can only imagine Windows Media Services is going to be the same. I would hazzard a wild guess and suggest that Microsoft have this setup for streaming the videos from their site.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
            X