Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fixed Port callback for messenger(?) server side?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixed Port callback for messenger(?) server side?

Hi Guys,

I'm currently locking down our infrastructure over here, starting with enabling windows firewall (xp pro clients)

With the firewall enabled on my test 'vm' i can receive messages, but cannot reply.

I currently have fixed ports setup on the client to reflect ports 2030-2040

(on a side note, when i configure port exceptions for windows firewall, may i enter a range as such ' 2030-2040:TCP:localsubnet:enabled:Fixed msmsgs int)

I've read the article on 'Polling and Fixed port callbacks'

Where on my exchange 2000 server do i enter the ports to be used for fixed port callback? Do i need a range of ports open, or would 1 port for everyone suffice?

I looked in the exchange servers registry, but was unable to locate the;

\\HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Exchange\I nstantMessaging

entry, will i have to create these keys manually?

Also, in the part where it indicates what setting to modify, the only setting / keys i see are all related to port polling, no where can i enter the ports i specify on my client.

Do i basically need to enable polling for fixed port callback to work, and forget about setting the port value on the server?

Working on a production server is a pissoff when your window of opportunity is from 10 - 11 pm

thanks for all your help guys, much appreciated.

euphoryk

Re: Fixed Port callback for messenger(?) server side?

This is OT for this forum. Moved to the MISC forum.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Originally posted by danielp View Post
      This is OT for this forum. Moved to the MISC forum.

Not to argue, you are the authority, but i honestly thought since this was an EXCHANGE server related issue as the IM portion is directly interfaced and runs on the EXCHANGE server by design ,... i thought perhaps it should go under:

Exchange 2000, Exchange Server 2003
      Deals with issues related to Microsoft's Exchange servers.

again sorry for the mistake.

Comment

euphoryk:

Before we go off and over-engineer a solution to what may be a simple problem, what is your real goal here?

To be able to run MSN / Windows Messenger on a box running Windows Firewall?

If so, why not add the EXE to the exceptions list vs. working it from the port angle?
        Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by rvalstar View Post
          euphoryk:

Before we go off and over-engineer a solution to what may be a simple problem, what is your real goal here?

To be able to run MSN / Windows Messenger on a box running Windows Firewall?

If so, why not add the EXE to the exceptions list vs. working it from the port angle?

That's exactly right. Looking to enable all workstations windows firewalls when connected to the domain.

I can't beleive i didn't think of adding it to the exceptions list.

Would adding it to the exceptions list leave vulnerable ports open? I mean if msmsgs accepts connections on random ports, then are these ports not left vulnerable to possible exploits if the firewall is allowing traffic through on them?

The basic idea was to enable all firewalls on workstations, our permiter defense is hard, but inside it's all soft and chewy... I was picturing a remote user coming back and pluging into the domain with an infected laptop and perhaps spreading a worm or what not.

thanks for your help, and thanks for pointing out what was staring me in the eyes.

euphoryk

Comment

Originally posted by euphoryk View Post
            Would adding it to the exceptions list leave vulnerable ports open? I mean if msmsgs accepts connections on random ports, then are these ports not left vulnerable to possible exploits if the firewall is allowing traffic through on them?
            Don't really know what MS Windows Firewall is doing behind the seens, if it tracks netstat -o and adjusts ports based on what a particular PID needs or ???

this for a bunch of reading that may help.
            Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
            X