help--typing url without www

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help--typing url without www

IE 6 or 7. I have a webpage that I have to type www in front page of the address in order to get there or it will said "Check availability or register the domain name" but it work with other website(microsoft,petril.co.il,etc). Is something I have to setup in IIS or browser? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Re: help--typing url without www

If you are the owner of this web site then you have to create a wildcard DNS entry pointing to the www host (often times signified by a '*' or '@' depending on the name server)

if you are not the owner of this site you can a) contact them b) type the www
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

I am the owner. Where do I go to create a wild card entry? Step by step instructions, please. Thansk.

Comment

Being that I know nothing about your setup and my crystal ball is foggy it would be impossible for me guide me. A good start would be letting us know where you registered the domain and who handles your DNS.
        Last edited by Lior_S; 14th February 2007, 17:00.
        "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Do I create cn dns record in forward lookup zone?
          If so, what I put for alias, fqdn, fqdn for target?
          alias = www
          fqdn = www.example.com
          fqdn target = ?

Comment

It only happen when I connect to the network at the office. Outside the network is okay. Please help if you had any ideas. Thanks.

Comment

The website is it hosted on a server on the local network or somewhere outsite your network on the internet?
              Is the registred internet domainname you use for the website perhaps the same as your network domainname?

\Rem

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
              and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Originally posted by Rems View Post
                The website is it hosted on a server on the local network or somewhere outsite your network on the internet?
                Is the registred internet domainname you use for the website perhaps the same as your network domainname?

\Rem
                yes, website is host on server on LAN & yes. Do you think that is the problem. How do I fix it? Thanks.
                Last edited by tsquid; 15th February 2007, 22:40.

Comment

We need more info. Is the domain name identical to your AD domain name?

Do we have to guess everything?
                  Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                  Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                  MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Originally posted by danielp View Post
                    We need more info. Is the domain name identical to your AD domain name?

Do we have to guess everything?
                    Yes, it is exactly identical. Everything single letter and mark.

Comment

Originally posted by tsquid View Post
                      Yes, it is exactly identical. Everything single letter and mark.
                      I give up, you win.

Comment

I think Rems solution make sense because our internet domain is the same as our network domain. If we are outside our network, it works fine.

Thanks a bunch, Rems.

Comment

You then need to add an 'A' record into DNS the points www to the IP address of the server.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                            You then need to add an 'A' record into DNS the points www to the IP address of the server.
                            I do have that record in my dns server
                            Last edited by tsquid; 16th February 2007, 20:35.

Comment

Post screen shot of the DNS screen that shows that A Record. (Use JPG format). Theremaybe an error in the way you have constructed the record.
                              Last edited by danielp; 17th February 2007, 22:46.
                              1 1 was a racehorse.
                              2 2 was 1 2.
                              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                              X