Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thin Clients - Info

Afternoon all,

I have never touched one before and so far all I have done is configured a rdp session. I would like to know things like what are the limitation's of using a thin client? Is it easy to install programs on them etc.

We currently use a normal desktop with danware netop remote control on it so we can connect to each client. Now we will be using thin clients and they will connect to a ts session. We used to use a program called BGinfo which is brilliant at giving network info. We used this as a background so all users could tell us the ip and we could connect and away we went. I would like use a similar thing on the thin clients but not on the ts session as every one's ip would show the ts server. Has anyone done this before?

What is your overall impression of them?

I currently have a HP T5520 with ce on it which i am using to test.

No rush on this i am just getting to grips with them.

Many thanks
    Simon
    Last edited by Si_Pe; 12th February 2007, 18:32. Reason: Forgot Model
    Kind Regards,
    Simon

Re: Thin Clients - Info

Simon, my friend, welcome to the ThinClients world
    First, you will need to clean your mind (my Vulcan touch would have helped you in that ) when you get to these. Especially when you deal with HP TC5520 .
    Well, where should I start?
    I have a large number of HP Thin Clients. From 5500, through 5510, to 5520 series, 105 of them. I have two TC5700, that are running WinXPE, I don't use them as the others.
    My use of the TCs is for public stations. My setup is such that the machines startup in the morning, they automatically login and connect to the TS farm. The (casual) user does not have access to the local resources at all, except for Disk on Key that might be connected to the USB. I shut down the machines automatically, 15 minutes after the closing hour. All the management is done through Altiris Deployment Solution. The management console, Deployment Console, is free and it can be installed on a server with SQL Server or MSSQL Server (a free component included in the installation). Meaning, that you get the management free. What it does cost in Altiris is the agent on the stations, but this you get also free on the TCs, because of a joint venture between Altiris and HP.
    With this management, you will not need BGInfo on TCs. Just enter the management console and pick a TC.
    I am giving you some screenshots of the things you can see and do with Altiris. Take a look, see if you need more detailed info about any of them. I erased info on fields that I did not want to be public, but left some "dirt"' so you'll know there was something there.
    You asked about installing software on the TCs... You cannot install anything you want. There are some default apps (see the screenshot) and you can add apps from the list HP makes available. But not everything. Don't forget that you are working on Flash memory, and it has its limits.
    Support: few problems met with these machines. From the whole bunch, I sent 3 or 4 to repairs. The problem is that they are repaired only in labs in Netherlands or UK, but this will not be a problem for you . For me it's like 3-4 weeks, but I get a temporary replacement.

Hope this info helped. If you need something else, all you have to do is ask
    Last edited by sorinso; 9th November 2007, 21:28.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
      Simon, my friend, welcome to the ThinClients world
      First, you will need to clean your mind (my Vulcan touch would have helped you in that ) when you get to these. Especially when you deal with HP TC5520 .
      Well, where should I start?
      I have a large number of HP Thin Clients. From 5500, through 5510, to 5520 series, 105 of them. I have two TC5700, that are running WinXPE, I don't use them as the others.
      My use of the TCs is for public stations. My setup is such that the machines startup in the morning, they automatically login and connect to the TS farm. The (casual) user does not have access to the local resources at all, except for Disk on Key that might be connected to the USB. I shut down the machines automatically, 15 minutes after the closing hour. All the management is done through Altiris Deployment Solution. The management console, Deployment Console, is free and it can be installed on a server with SQL Server or MSSQL Server (a free component included in the installation). Meaning, that you get the management free. What it does cost in Altiris is the agent on the stations, but this you get also free on the TCs, because of a joint venture between Altiris and HP.
      With this management, you will not need BGInfo on TCs. Just enter the management console and pick a TC.
      I am giving you some screenshots of the things you can see and do with Altiris. Take a look, see if you need more detailed info about any of them. I erased info on fields that I did not want to be public, but left some "dirt"' so you'll know there was something there.
      You asked about installing software on the TCs... You cannot install anything you want. There are some default apps (see the screenshot) and you can add apps from the list HP makes available. But not everything. Don't forget that you are working on Flash memory, and it has its limits.
      Support: few problems met with these machines. From the whole bunch, I sent 3 or 4 to repairs. The problem is that they are repaired only in labs in Netherlands or UK, but this will not be a problem for you . For me it's like 3-4 weeks, but I get a temporary replacement.

Hope this info helped. If you need something else, all you have to do is ask

That's fantastic info thanks very much.

I am going to have a look through this in the morning when i am back at work. I have been on site visits today to rebuild a few machines! One thing I am looking forward not having to do once we are on thin clients!

I am sure there will be loads of questions so please tell me to go away when you have had enough of me!

Thanks again
      Si
      Kind Regards,
      Simon

Comment

Morning.

I have been looking at that software and it is very useful! Thanks

I have a small question, do thin clients have a host file or similar?

Many thanks
        Simon
        Kind Regards,
        Simon

Comment

Not that I am aware of...
          Searched for it on the TC, couldn't find any...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
            Not that I am aware of...
            Searched for it on the TC, couldn't find any...
            Thanks for looking!

Cheers
            Simon
            Kind Regards,
            Simon

Comment

We use Wyse thin clients with XPe on it. They do have a host file under "c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc". I have also worked on IBM thin clients with CE and XPe and they also had host files.
              Never worked with HP thin's though.

Comment

Hi, Simon.
                Maybe with a little more details, I would be able to understand more your need for a hosts file. As I said, I am not aware of such file in the TC5520, and couldn't find anything about it in the documentation.
                What I did find is an article describing how you can insert entries in the registry.
                Take a look, see if will help you. Notice that this article is for CE 6.0.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Working...
                X