uninstall xp pirate reinstall new xp home

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uninstall xp pirate reinstall new xp home

Hi all I couldn't find a windows xp home forum so I'm not sure where this should go so I'm putting it here. I recently got my computer back and now I have windows xp on it. It's the pirated copy. Well now since I have banking info and a paypal account I want to uninstall the pirated copy and reinstall the new legal copy that I just got in the mail today. I'm tired of not being able to do updates especially when it comes to my computers security. I went to the program files but all I see is a windows installer, I don't see any uninstall info anywhere. The only other thing I have under windows in my program files is windows hotfix. I don't mind if I lose all my info and have to reinstall everything. I still have all the hardware and info I need to get back on track. I just need help getting legal. Swizzle

Re: uninstall xp pirate reinstall new xp home

Copy your data to removable storage
    Download hardware drivers if needed and copy to removable storage
    Format your drive
    Install your legal copy of windows
    Install applications
    Restore data
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

No need for a reinstall.

http://www.petri.com/change_the_seri...windows_xp.htm
      ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

If I just reset the number will they be able to retrace the original pirated copy? The last the I want to do is get someone arrested or fined because they tried to help me out. Swizzle

Comment

I should also mention that I attempted to format drive C and it wouldn't let me. I closed out all of the programs that is using windows that I know of and it still wouldn't let me. Swizzle

Comment

You can't FORMAT the same drive that you're formatting FROM.

just change the key, you'll be fine.

Comment

Unless its Pro to Home?
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

correct, changing versions of XP would require a format.

Comment

One of the options you get while you are performing the installation from the CD is to delete partitions and format the drive. Make sure, as stated above, that you have saved all your favourites, data and so on. If you use Outlook, look for PST files. If you use Outlook Express, look for DBX files and save everything in the same folder as them.

Also, if it works for you, there's the files and settings transfer wizard... but I never got anything useful out of the piece of cack.

Tom
                  For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

How do I find out what verison of windows xp I'm running? The disk I bought is windows xp home. The only thing I'm seeing other then windows xp is windows nt. I have a 20 gb hard drive for C: and a 4gb hard drive for E: I've put all my photo's and video's in the E drive hoping it will save them. Should I go to my E: drive and format C: drive from there? Swizzle

Comment

Originally posted by swizzle View Post
                      How do I find out what verison of windows xp I'm running? The disk I bought is windows xp home. The only thing I'm seeing other then windows xp is windows nt. I have a 20 gb hard drive for C: and a 4gb hard drive for E: I've put all my photo's and video's in the E drive hoping it will save them. Should I go to my E: drive and format C: drive from there? Swizzle
                      Here is a link to decode a product ID into a version, etc:

http://wiki.djlizard.net/Product_IDs

To get the product ID, you can use the following (per the prev. link):

You can use the command reg query "hklm\software\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion" /v ProductID at a command prompt (Start > Run > cmd.exe).
                      Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Ok I just found it. I'm running xp pro and I want to switch it to xp home. Swizzle

Comment

... or you can just go to start -> run, and type in winver

Comment

If he was able to install an illegal copy of XP, then a legal copy is no different.

Congratulations on going legal. It is the smart and right thing to do.
                            1 1 was a racehorse.
                            2 2 was 1 2.
                            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Well let's take this one problem at a time.

you said you have one 20gb(c: ) and one 4gb(e: )

are these partitions? what are partitions? one hard drive split into different parts. best explanation 1 house 2 rooms. u cant move the room without the house.

if not, are C and E separate drives?

just wanted to get that out of the way. now, regardless weather you have one drive with 2 partitions or 2 hard drives the solution is simple. re-install windows. since you're going from Pro to Home you will not be able to simply switch CD Keys. unless i'm really talking out of my butt here CD keys are differ from Pro to Home.

what you will have to do is save all files you want to save on E: (which i think you've already done) good.
                              then put in your XpHome cd. don't worry about what comes up. just close any windows that come up. restart your computer. with any luck your boot sequence will still have CD-ROM as the first option (if your computer has a different boot sequence you'll have to go into the bios and change it so that your computer looks at the CDrom first at boo tup) and your computer will tell you at the top left screen

Press ANY key to boot from CD

press any key

this will launch you into WinXP installation.
                              follow instructions and you will get to the part with the partition/ hard drive setup
                              highlight C: and only C: and delete it
                              ~~~~~~LEAVE E: ALONE!!!~~~~~~ (THIS IS WHERE YOUR SAVED STUFF IS)
                              now once C; gets deleted highlight Free Space and hit enter
                              in the next screen choose Format Using NTFS
                              let it run its course
                              let the installation finish
                              boot into windows
                              install any necessary drivers that windows may not pick up
                              activate your copy of XpHome
                              register your copy of XpHome
                              home free.
                              start reinstalling your programs as you wish.

i think that should answer your question. let me know if i am totally off base here.
                              Last edited by IceNine; 14th February 2007, 04:07.

Comment

Working...
                              X