Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to turn on a PC remotely?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to turn on a PC remotely?

There have been a few occasions where I have shutdown a server remotely when I really wanted to restart it.

Is there a way to remotely configure PC hardware to start up?
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: Is it possible to turn on a PC remotely?

If the network card supports WOL (Wake up on LAN) then you can send a magic packet to the machine to wake it up.

Use to search for "WOL" and you will find info and applications to send the magic packet. All you need is the MAC address

Hope this helps

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Hi, JDMills.
      I'm so glad I'm not the only on who did that
      If you're talking about real servers, brand names, then they usually have an advanced administrative port. I work with HP DL servers and they have such port called iLO. Even with the basic options (they can be extended to full Remote Desktop, Virtual Drives and so on...), it does have a Virtual Power page, that allows you to simulate pressing the Power button on the server.
      I know that some DELL servers have it also, others are using an additional card.

If you have such an option, go for it. It worths every minute.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

Even better solution that mine but it costs money.

HP used to use RIB cards (Remote Insight Boards) and Dell use DRAC cards (Dell Remote Access Card) Both are identical.

As sorinso said, they are used to physically switch on the server froma remote location. You can also control the server remotely including the BIOS and boot up process. They have their own mouse, keyboard, vga and network port. Find some information below on Dell DRAC cards:

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/g...en/ps2q02_bell

Michael
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

iLO is integrated in (almost) all HP servers.
          The basic (standard) option allows one to start the server from remote.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

I have seen a BIOS that allows You to set a start time. Not much help if you don't know when you are going to miss selecting the Restart option.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
            X