Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seperate Monitors per computer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Seperate Monitors per computer

    Hi Guys,

    I was asked to use a PC and connect to it 2 monitors, 1) regular monitor, outlook internet etc. 2) PLASMA (another monitor) with another screen card, and that i can load specific util only to the second monitor.
    Any idea what Hardware exactly do i need? and what software?

    Thanks, Retaliator
    Thanks & Regards

    Retaliator

    MCSA/MCSE/CCNA
    Computer Science Graduate

  • #2
    Re: Seperate Monitors per computer

    What OS are you running, my friend?
    If you are using XP, you only need a second graphic card (or one dual card) and use the built-in option of XP that allows you to extend the display on more than one monitor.
    You should pay attention to the second card, because I heard of some problems with matchup between the existing one and the new one.

    Sorin Solomon

    »»»»»
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -
    «««««

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Seperate Monitors per computer

      As Sorin suggested, the easiest way is with a dual card. That can be as simple as a card w/ both a DVI and DSUB connector. Both WXP and W2K3 recognize these cards as dual monitor. If you don't have a DVI capable display, AFAIK there are passive converters.

      I'm sitting at 2 machines right now, each w/ a mid-level ATI Radeon DVI / DSUB card. I have 2 flat panel LCD screens both w/ DVI / DSUB connections. Each machine is connected to its screen via DVI and the other screen via DSUB. If I want to dual screen it, I keep that machine's primary display in digital and put the other in analog.

      Works really nicely.
      Cheers,

      Rick

      ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

      © 2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Seperate Monitors per computer

        I love my setup. I have my laptop (IBM Lenovo Thinkpad T60) on the left with its display open. A 1280x1024 flat panel in the middle, and another 1280x1024 flat panel on the right. I also have a desktop with a dual card. I connect the lot together with a 2-port KVM. Position 1 puts laptop on left and centre, position 2 puts desktop on right and centre. Absolutely f**** fantastic when you're admin-ing the domain via ADU&C, TS'ing into a box, and looking at Remedy for incident information... all this is without any additional software as stated above; the only thing needed was a dual-head graphics card for the desktop machine...


        Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

        Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Seperate Monitors per computer


          Originally posted by rvalstar View Post
          I'm sitting at 2 machines right now, each w/ a mid-level ATI Radeon DVI / DSUB card. I have 2 flat panel LCD screens both w/ DVI / DSUB connections. Each machine is connected to its screen via DVI and the other screen via DSUB. If I want to dual screen it, I keep that machine's primary display in digital and put the other in analog.

          Works really nicely.

          Ah ha!
          So thats how you do it..............
          "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Seperate Monitors per computer

            Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
            I love my setup. I have my laptop (IBM Lenovo Thinkpad T60) on the left with its display open. A 1280x1024 flat panel in the middle, and another 1280x1024 flat panel on the right. I also have a desktop with a dual card. I connect the lot together with a 2-port KVM. Position 1 puts laptop on left and centre, position 2 puts desktop on right and centre. Absolutely f**** fantastic when you're admin-ing the domain via ADU&C, TS'ing into a box, and looking at Remedy for incident information... all this is without any additional software as stated above; the only thing needed was a dual-head graphics card for the desktop machine...


            you too! no fair.......I am cleaning my office.....
            "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Seperate Monitors per computer

              Continued (or is it?)

              Originally posted by Lior_S View Post


              Ah ha!
              So thats how you do it..............
              I recall when I first saw 2 monitor setups back at Compaq in 1999 (2 graphics cards -- the DVI / DSUB ones were in the future and Matrox ones were too expensive). It was such an amazing productivity boost to programmers and sys admins.

              Now it's so simple / common place we really need a FAQ on this.

              BTW, Stonelaughter's setup is well past mine. Must be "Mission Control" in there. "Houston, We have a problem" My laptops sit submissively about single screened and lonely and my KVM switch is in the closet.
              Last edited by rvalstar; 6th February 2007, 23:28. Reason: reordered sentences
              Cheers,

              Rick

              ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

              © 2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Seperate Monitors per computer

                (My apologies Retaliator, I have just had my morning Milo and couldn't resist)

                Originally posted by rvalstar
                As Sorin suggested, the easiest way is with a dual card.

                Dual card, is that one where it fights another card to the death?
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Seperate Monitors per computer

                  Use KVM switch ?
                  All in 1
                  Solaris,Linux & Windows admin + networking.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Seperate Monitors per computer

                    No, sco1984, my friend, that cannot be the solution.
                    Retaliator needs to extend the Desktop to the second display:
                    load specific util only to the second monitor
                    That means the two monitors have to hold different pictures, not the same. Otherwise, there are VGA splitters as low as 5USD.
                    He needs the second VGA adapter (that will not fight with the first one - 10nx, biggles77 ) and use the built-in option in XP.
                    BTW, KVM allows to do just the opposite: two computers on the same monitor, keyboard and mouse (and maybe audio, USB and so on...)

                    Sorin Solomon

                    »»»»»
                    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                    -
                    «««««

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Seperate Monitors per computer

                      Originally posted by sorinso View Post
                      No, sco1984, my friend, that cannot be the solution.
                      Retaliator needs to extend the Desktop to the second display:
                      That means the two monitors have to hold different pictures, not the same. Otherwise, there are VGA splitters as low as 5USD.
                      He needs the second VGA adapter (that will not fight with the first one - 10nx, biggles77 ) and use the built-in option in XP.
                      BTW, KVM allows to do just the opposite: two computers on the same monitor, keyboard and mouse (and maybe audio, USB and so on...)
                      Thanks for all, it is exactly as Sorin wrote, i need two monitors on the same computer with diffrent screens/utils on each.

                      i will test it soon and let ya know
                      Retaliator
                      Thanks & Regards

                      Retaliator

                      MCSA/MCSE/CCNA
                      Computer Science Graduate

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Seperate Monitors per computer

                        Good luck, Retaliator.
                        Don't forget to let us know how it works.

                        Sorin Solomon

                        »»»»»
                        In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                        -
                        «««««

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X