Motherboard failure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motherboard failure

I have just looked at my cousins desktop system. It apparently wouldn't turn on one morning this week.

I used my trusted PSU tester which says the PSU is fine under load - it fires the PSU up and powers all the case fans fine.
    I also checked for continuity with my fluke meter across the power switch (i did have a broken wire catch me out once!) and it is fine.

Won't POST - no beeps or sign off life. Looks like the mobo (Probably) has gone down, but he doesn't mind purchasing a better spec CPU/Mobo combo while we are going to the trouble of replacing it. Have tried removing all devices and replaced graphics/ memory with working parts but nothing.

My main worry here chaps is the data. He swopped his mountain bike for this unit(!) and has no XP disc with it. I can only assume it is legit, because the updates still run properly.

I have explained he is looking at the following;

Personal edition of XP Pro (about 150)
    CPU/Motherboard bundle ( about 100)

which is he is happy with.

Should I plug his IDE drives in to my machine and get all his data off it before swopping the mobo and CPU over. I know XP will want to ping the clearing house due to the hardware change (which it will probably will be OK) but what if it doesn't? He will have his purchased version of XP, but it might have made a mess of the original install.

Thanks for reading!

Simon

Re: Motherboard failure

Hi, Simon.
    What I would do is plug your cousin's HD into your computer, but don't boot from it! This way, you'll have the data on it, without it starting adapt the drivers to the new computer (most chances it won't succeed and you'll find yourself with an endless number of BSODs).
    Try to access the data, to be certain it's accessible (no permissions issue and such - although you did not say if it's NTFS or FAT). If you have the resources, clone it to another disk or into free space on your computer.
    Buy the new hardware and OS and do a clean install. This way, you will be sure the OS is OK, licensed and all. At the end, move the data back.
    This is what I would do, if it was my computer.
    Good luck.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

If your cousin does not have much energy invested in a special configuration, I'd go w/ Sorin.

Otherwise, once you have the new hardware in place, you may want to consider trying a repair install and see if it works:

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

I just don't know how repairing will go, with what is probably an OEM install, using a Retail disk. Here was a recent thread on a different re-installation issue that dealt with OEM vs. Retail:

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=11469

I realize you will have a new key since you will buy a new copy of XP. You may wish to extract the old key just in case using something like Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder and save it. It will work against your cousin's disk mounted on your PC by pointing to that disk's Windows directory.
      Last edited by rvalstar; 4th February 2007, 15:27. Reason: laptop disk changed to cousin's disk
      Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

The laptop comes from the other thread

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Sorry. My brain was elsewhere. Edited to reflect desktop.
          Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks for the advice

The motherboard and CPU should be here soon and I think I will plug his IDE drive into my machine as slave and get all the data off it to be safe.

His system was in need of good housekeeping, so think i'll take the chance to install a fresh.

Simon

Comment

For goot housekeeping, I recommend the Microsoft House Keeping Utility:

A:\>format c: /q of course fdisk works just as well.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
              X