Delay opening folder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delay opening folder

Windows XP Professional standalone machine.
    NTFS, single partition. No disk errors, spyware or Virus' present.

I have one folder on a basic IDE disk that *does nothing* (for the want of a better phrase!) when you initially click on it. If you wait, then it will open and display all the content as normal. The entire content of the folder will open without error.
    If you cant wait (10-15 seconds) and try to close that part of explorer down, it will display the dialog *Program not responding* most of the time
    If you right click the folder it will display the alternate list after about ten seconds.

Nothing in event viewer and I am in the process of emptying the folder object by object to see if i can pinpoint a culprite (if any).

Any idea's or suggestions what I can check for? The folder contains a few Excel spreadsheets, two pdf's, 3 word doc's and 2 power point presentations.

Simon

Re: Delay opening folder

sounds like the file system is messed up, run check disk.
    Code:
    c:\>chkdsk c: /r
    then 'y'

reboot
    defrag for good measure later tonight after reporting back on check disk.
    Code:
    c:\>defrag c: /v
    Last edited by Lior_S; 1st February 2007, 00:27. Reason: spelling
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Thanks Lior_S. I will do that and post back.

Comment

CHKDSK and de-frag completed without error.

Folder still the same. I am going to empty the folder by file and see what happens.

Thanks for the advice, will post back when done.

Simon

Comment

No ZIP file in there w/ many, many files? By default, WXP and W2K3 process the ZIP file by opening it like a directory tree. I really dislike this behavior. It slowwwws down Windows Explorer.

To eliminate that behavior, should you suspect it, try the following:

regsvr32 /u zipfldr.dll
          regsvr32 /u cabview.dll
          You may need to close all explorer windows, logoff / logon or restart to get the change to take effect.

You can always re-register the DLL's (no /u) should you desire the default behavior.
          Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

© 2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Hi, Simon.
            It happens to me when I browse to a partition with a lot of files and folders (see the attached screenshot - I had more than that, I deleted some). Try to check what's the situation with these two...
            Last edited by sorinso; 9th November 2007, 21:28.

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
            In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -
            «««««

Comment

Never had a lot of files in a partition affect performace in Windows Explorer. A lot of files in a directory, yes.

My data drive has 129K files and 10K folders. No perf issues in Windows Explorer.
              Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

© 2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

FYI: To check to see if check disk found any errors, go to the event viewer and look for a source of 'winlogon' open that and read through.
                But in this case it was clearly not the problem.

BTW: how big is this folder?
                "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Working...
                X