• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compaq Proliant PL1600 (old Server)

Hi Guys,

we have an old Compaq Proliant PL1600 Server, currently with 256 MB ram,
    P-II-450 CPU.
    I need to ugrade the hardware, even though we have a new strong server waiting to replace that, the Developers can't make it on time to move the prog needed for the server..
    How can i test the maximum CPU supported and RAM, i don't have a copy of Everest that can work on Domain, I don't want to SHUT DOWN the server and take a look as well.
    Is there any free Util like that Everest but for Domain computer?

Anyone know this server hardware at all?

Thanks, Retaliator.
    Thanks & Regards

Retaliator

MCSA/MCSE/CCNA
    Computer Science Graduate

Re: Compaq Proliant PL1600 (old Server)

Funnily enough i have two of these great little servers at home.

The most mine can handle is

Server 1
    2*600MHz CPU's
    512MB ECC SDRAM

Server 2
    2*300MHz CPU's
    512MB EDO RAM

Please note though that i have 1 of each type server where one uses SDRAM and one uses EDO so you really need to check part numbers.

Comment

Thanks for the reply,

i have a similiar server with 1 GB of ram, so i guess it's possible.
      I wish i could install Everest and watch how the DIMMS are installed (512*2 or 256*4) i belive it's 256*4, thing is i don't wanna shut down any of those two, they are real important and production.

i guess i can try and update bios for better cpu speed, but thats a bit risky
      Last edited by Retaliator; 31st January 2007, 10:30.
      Thanks & Regards

Retaliator

MCSA/MCSE/CCNA

Comment

Okay, AIDA32 Helped my needs to search for detailed information.
        I would like to hear from people who have this server anyway.
        Thanks & Regards

Retaliator

MCSA/MCSE/CCNA

Comment

S**t, I was going to suggest you that
          Best tool for an online vivisection of any system...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

I still have one running as a file server, PIII 1Ghz CPU and 680Mb Ram
            I suspect you'll need to find an exact match on the lable inside the front door, there would have been several dozen builds with different components,
            perhaps the serial number and a call to HP.. *thinks* No maybe not
            The Univurse is still winning!

W2K AD, WSUS, RIS 2003. ISA also AVG Server
            ** If contributors help you, recognise them and give reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Guys, we are talking dinosaurs here
              Proliant PL1600 was end of life as for March 2000. It came in two models: PII and PIII. The PII model had three possible CPUs: 350, 400 and 450 MHz, and it had double-CPU capability.
              Given these facts, I think that even if someone could find an additional CPU for it, it will be so expensive, that it will be cheaper to get a brand new HP ML/DL toy.

(For all those who are still amazed: no, I don't know this by heart, I just looked in the HP Product Bulletin)

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
              -

Comment

On any machine, when you muck w/

Adding Processors -- make sure they are the same "everything" including stepping...

Adding RAM -- make sure to schedule some time (12-24 hrs) to run Memtest86. Do not for a minute think ECC catches all problems. I have learned this the hard way. Memory controllers are particular and they are very much stuck in the past. New memory, even lowly PC133 SDRAM, can have such a different topology due to higher density chips, that the memory controller loses it. If you're lucky it won't post. If you're not, it will slowly corrupt your data.

My rule is buy it all at once. I have replaced memory in total just to prevent / get rid of nagging issues.

24 hrs of Memtest86 and you are as golden as you can be. It does a great job of slamming RAM.

Also, if you have just a few Memtest86 errors and a little time, reorder the RAM in the slots and try again. You may be surprised that's all it takes.

Best of luck...
                Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks to everybody,

Finally after i brought the needed SDRAMS, i realized the developers are talking about the WRONG SERVER !!!
                  The server they are talking about can't be upgradeable (Already 1 GB of ram, another PL 1600).
                  With 2 * P-2-400 CPUS.
                  And we already have 2 new DELL servers waiting for the developers

Thanks, case is closed.
                  Retaliator.
                  Thanks & Regards

Retaliator

MCSA/MCSE/CCNA

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
                    Proliant PL1600 was end of life as for March 2000. It came in two models: PII and PIII. The PII model had three possible CPUs: 350, 400 and 450 MHz, and it had double-CPU capability.
                    Given these facts, I think that even if someone could find an additional CPU for it, it will be so expensive, that it will be cheaper to get a brand new HP ML/DL toy.

(For all those who are still amazed: no, I don't know this by heart, I just looked in the HP Product Bulletin)
                    Funnily enough when i first got my 1600 it had 2 233MHz cpu's in it.

Another recall from memory is that the later P3 models could handle 1024MB PC100 memory whereas the original P2's use EDO up to a maximum of 512MB.

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post

Not so loud ... I don't want my old server falling over before I get the new one delivered
                      The Univurse is still winning!

W2K AD, WSUS, RIS 2003. ISA also AVG Server
                      ** If contributors help you, recognise them and give reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Sorry... Don't read this near that server...

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

What.......? You will have to type up, I can't read you.
                          1 1 was a racehorse.
                          2 2 was 1 2.
                          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                          X