• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This year Daylight Saving Time (DST) extends

Hi to all
    i received this via e mail today... i post this just for your information

Dear Valued Microsoft Customer,

This year Daylight Saving Time (DST) extends by approximately four weeks. In compliance with this provision in the Energy Policy Act of 2005, DST dates in the United States and Canada will start three weeks earlier (2:00 A.M. on the second Sunday in March) and will end one week later (2:00 A.M. on the first Sunday in November).

In some instances, effort will be required to accommodate the new DST legislation. For example, systems and applications may need to be updated directly, while in other circumstances the application may inherit the date and time information from the underlying system.

Microsoft is committed to helping customers that are affected by the DST changes make this transition as seamless as possible. Microsoft is producing updates for Windows products as well as other Microsoft products affected by the new U.S. statute. These updates will be released through technical support channels including Microsoft Customer Service & Support (CSS), as well as online channels such as Windows Update and Microsoft Update.

Details of the updates for Microsoft Windows and affected Microsoft applications, how customers can acquire them and when they will be available can be found on the Microsoft website at http://www.microsoft.com/dst2007. Corresponding technical Knowledge Base articles are linked from this website as well.
    MCSE 2000 Done
    RHCE Done

Re: This year Daylight Saving Time (DST) extends

I have known this in the back of my head somewhere and just brought it front and center. From reading the link, Windows 2000 will not have an update available. and you need to manually edit the time zone data. (and from there DST). I don't blame MS for not supporting them but there are plenty of 2000 servers out there, and I for one, have to get moving and take care of them.

Windows 2000 has passed the end of Mainstream Support and will not be receiving an update without Extended Hotfix Support.

All versions of Windows can be manually updated using the tzedit.exe utility or other techniques documented in Knowledge Base article 914387, webcast 930688, and similar articles for other countries, which is the preferred method of remediation for any product outside of Mainstream Support. (The tzedit.exe tool allows you to create and edit time zone entries for the Date/Time settings in the Control Panel, especially for daylight-saving time).
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

For those of you wondering how TZedit.exe works.
      Attached Files
      "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Originally posted by Lior_S View Post
        For those of you wondering how TZedit.exe works.
        Thanks for the great post. I was able to use the tool with no problems. For those who may be having a problem finding it, I found it (for Windows 2000) on Microsoft's website:
        http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...52f/TZEDIT.exe (http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...52f/TZEDIT.exe)

Running it will extract the program and a help file to a folder in your Program Files folder. Follow the screen caps and dates as supplied by Lior_S and yaniv.
        Last edited by overstressed admin; 21st February 2007, 22:02. Reason: spelling

Comment

Glad to see it worked for you, and thanks for the direct link.

Comment

Originally posted by Lior_S View Post
            Glad to see it worked for you, and thanks for the direct link.
            So all I have to do if I run win2K server just run that exe file and then ajust the correct daylight savongs time ?
            Do I have to reboot the system ?

Comment

Working...
            X