No announcement yet.

Visual Studio 2005 SP1 Installation Tips

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visual Studio 2005 SP1 Installation Tips

So if you haven't installed Visual Studio 2005 SP1, I just finished doing so on my WXP and W2K3 lab machines and I'd like to give y'all the 2-4 hours back I lost mucking through the process.

Download SP1 from MS. Don't use Microsoft Update as the SP is 432M and it takes upwards of 30 minutes to complete the patch (download time extra) depending on what you have installed. In silent mode through Microsoft Update you are almost surely doomed. I started that way and after one failure and one "apparent" hang (silent mode = no feedback), I decided to do it the old fashioned way.

Main VS .NET 2005 SP1 page:

I downloaded "Visual Studio 2005 SP1 (includes SP1 updates for Standard, Professional, and Team Editions of Visual Studio 2005)":

Don't forget the Vista update if running that OS:

You will need your original VS .NET 2005 DVD mounted in the drive. The MSP (inside the ZIP EXE) looks for VS_SETUP.MSI from the DVD.

On WXP, just double-click the EXE, follow the prompts and waitttttt. If you have Visual Studio Tools for Office installed, you'll get close to that 30 minute installation I mentioned earlier and have to answer a second set of dialogs in the middle of the install.

Next came W2K3 (W2K3 STD SP1 -- fully patched). You may ask why I have VS .NET 2005 installed on a server? Good question. I'm working with web parts and found having everything on the target machine made the development cycle much easier. The Client bought the licenses as it proved cost effective.

On one W2K3 server, the installation appeared to start normally but I got

The installation source for this product is not available. Verify that the source exists and that you can access it.
    after a minute or so. Cancel out of the installer if it continues.

On the other W2K3 server, I immediately got

Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.
    These are lab machines and neither are members of a domain. The second machine had "Software Restriction Policies" created on it by "mistake" sometime ago and that proved to be why it had a different opening error and also proved to be the solution to successfully installing the patch on both machines.

On each W2K3 machines, I did the following:
    Unzip VS80sp1-KB926601-X86-ENU.exe to reveal VS80sp1-KB926601-X86-ENU.msp

Ran the following from a CMD box:

msiexec /update VS80sp1-KB926601-X86-ENU.msp /log vs80sp1.log
    Looking at the logs, both machines showed something like this:

File 26d4cc.msp was rejected by digital signature policy.
    The installation source for this product is not available. Verify that the source exists and that you can access it.
    MSI (c) (34:A4) [23:34:16:985]: Product: Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Tools for the Microsoft Office System - ENU -- Installation failed.
    These were 400 +/- MB MSP's on machines w/ 2 GB of RAM but a lot of stuff loaded.

A quick Google revealed the solution:

The reboot appeared necessary only if you want to run from the EXE file. From MSIEXEC with the MSP was successful by just applying the change on W2K3 #2.

Back on W2K3 #1, I had to do an "Action\New Software Restriction Policies" then change the Enforcement to "All users except local administrators" and I was successful.

Don't forget to reset the Enforcement (if you like frustration) after completing the patch.

Slipstreaming will be next as I don't want to go through this effort on a subsequent reinstall:

Hope this helps someone out there. Do share your experiences.

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.