Unusual Webcam Trouble

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual Webcam Trouble

ok, i installed Vista, and after it had finished installing, it went off and looked for my webcam drivers (built in webcam) and installed them successfully. But now, i don't know how to actually -start- my webcam, i can do it in MSN by clicking the webcam button, but i have no idea how to find it on my PC, there used to be shortcuts all over the place, but now they are gone

any suggestions?
    changed

Re: Unusual Webcam Trouble

Hi, Luke.
    I suppose you are looking for the icons of the software of the webcam (btw, it is builtin in what?). It might have been an application that was installed with the drivers (or vice versa, the application installed the drivers) in XP, but the drivers for Vista do not contain it.
    You can:
    1) try to find the application for Vista. Usually on the manufacturer's site;
    2) try to install the old XP-version, see if it works on Vista.

Hope this is what where you looking for.
    Don't you think this post was better on the Vista forum, instead on the Misc one? You might want to ask the Gods to move it...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

The webcam is built into my laptop, and the software came on the laptop with it, (no disks with it either) and i have searched the HP site high and low can't find it.

although, i still have all the shortcuts and drivers in a file called Windows.old which Vista created to store all my previous stuff, but there is nothing on how to restore the stuff

i thought this was more of a webcam than a vista problem so i put it in here

i apologise for lack of information
      Last edited by Luke Murgatroyd; 21st January 2007, 23:29.
      changed

Comment

I would search the HP site to see if there was any software for the webcam. And then look for a Vista version. From what you are saying, it really sounds like a software that came with the drivers. And I really don't think Vista will et you install the old XP drivers.
        Don't you have any support from an HP representative?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

I found the XP drivers for it, and it let me install them, so now a little camera icon appears in my system tray (the same one as was in XP.) When i right click on it, it gives me the options of 50hz, 60hz and On or Off, these were here last time too, but when i double clicked the icon on XP, a little box open with the camera in it, and it was a box in XP style, not some 3rd party program (sorry if this is confusing), and the little light on my webcam came on to say it was online. When i double click it in Vista, nothing happens, at all

there are no Vista drivers for it that i can see, but my laptop said it is fully Vista compatible, so there must be some way to do it

as i've said, i know the camera works because i can send it in MSN

maybe i should download some 3rd party software which can access my webcam and record with it (which it couldn't do last time, it could only take pictures)

any recommendations on good WebCam initialising software?
          changed

Comment

Am i right in assuming the laptop is fairly new being Vista compatible? If you got hold of it within the last year you should be able to contact HP by phone and get assistance with this, they're usually pretty good at pointing you in the right direction.

Comment

i got it in the last week of november, i'll give them a try anyway, cheers
              changed

Comment

but my laptop said it is fully Vista compatible,
                that mean you hardware will work. and it does like you say in msn...

but it does not say that the software for the cam is also ready.

maybe you are lucky and get the software for vista.

can you give us some more information about the laptop?
                so maybe we could find something to help you.

Yaniv F
                MCSE 2000 Done
                RHCE Done

Comment

i'm not at my laptop at the moment, but from what i can rememeber it's a hp pavilion dv6000

i've also got another problem now, when i close my laptop lid, the screen turns off like normal, but when i open it, the screen doesn't turn back on, i have to press the sleep button, then wake it up again to get the screen on
                  changed

Comment

i just bought a DV2225NR (HP Pavilion) with a built in webcam. i have the same problem as luke. i am unable to start it and i can only start it with yahoo messenger. it is really frustrating. i have been searching HP website if there is any fix. any suggestions welcome

Comment

i have found a way to fix it, you have to download "Muvee Autoproducer 6.0" and install that

in an online chat session, the cheeky gits at HP said that i have to download this and install it, and they gave me a link, so i followed the link and noticed it was the trial version, when i asked him about it, he said i have to buy the full version ($129 IIRC) or keep re-installing the trial version, so i told him this was unacceptable and HP should buy this for me, stating that this was in the contract when i bought it (which it was) so then he went silent on me! didn't reply to any of my messages that i sent to him (i wasn't being rude or anything like that either), so i reported the git

anyway so yeah, that's how you use it, in the muvee interface, you have to click "get from camcorder..." or something like that, if the camera cannot be detected, go to device manager and update the USB 2.0 imaging device

i'm going to attempt tonight with the chat thing to see if he can help with the laptop screen not coming back on, but we'll probably go through 30 mins doing what i've already done, and then get to the stage where he can't help me
                      changed

Comment

Working...
                      X