Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell 1550 Array

Hi,

as i asked before about ghost, i want to try something else.

I have two identical servers, 1u Dell 1550.
    Each has 2 * 36 GB SCSI on Rai1 (Mirror).
    One is installed with win 2003 Server, 1 is not installed yet.
    I want to break the mirror on the installed machine and take 1 of the hd to the not installed machine and this way i can Rebuild the raid on the INSTALLED machine, and rebuild on the NOT installed machine.
    1) i dont have a dell open manage util for 1550 can any1 help?
    2) do i need to create the Raid on the NOT installed machine before putting in the HD?

Thanks.
    Thanks & Regards

Retaliator

MCSA/MCSE/CCNA
    Computer Science Graduate

Re: Dell 1550 Array

I assume:
    - you have hardware mirror, and not software;
    - the servers are in an AD environment;
    - the original server is a plain member server, without any special role. Otherwise, the cloning process might give you troubles.

Don't know about Dell, I have HP DL360 and this worked for me:
    - shutdown server1;
    - pull out one of the disks;
    - while server2 is shutdown, pull out both empty disks and insert the disk from server1;
    - start server2. Without network!!. If they are identical (hardware), it should start without problems;
    - after the server is up, login with local Administrator;
    - take server2 out of the domain. Restart. Login again locally. Change the IP as needed. Change the name to SERVER2. Restart again;
    - connect server2 to network. Login locally. Add server2 to the domain. Restart;
    - check everything works on server2;
    - start server1. Check everything works;
    - you can then insert one of the empty disks to the empty slot in each of the servers. The mirror should rebuild automatically.

This is the theoretical aspect. Why don't you contact the vendor? They surely can give you the right way (and if it's possible).
    Let us know the outcome.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

I'm not a fan of breaking and re-silvering mirrors out of choice as things can (and do) go wrong.

So what is your objective here?

You want to do this to get W2K3 on the other machine or test a disaster recovery scenario or ???
      Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

First question is how is your mirror setup???

Secondly if both servers are identical then the easieast option would be to take a complete system backup to tape then install Server 2003 onto the new server and do a complete restore from the tape to the new server.

I've done this many times before and it has worked on each occasion.

BTW before you do anything to the server ensure you have

1. Backed up.
        2. Tested your backup.
        3. Stored your backup safely out of harms way.

Comment

It's a Hardware Mirror. not Sotware
          I want to duplicate coz i need two same machines.
          Forget domain or that issue it's not in domain,
          but when i took one of the working HD from SERVER1 to the new SERVER2 now computer loads with 1 HD but does not recognize it.
          Thanks & Regards

Retaliator

MCSA/MCSE/CCNA

Comment

Originally posted by Retaliator View Post
            computer loads with 1 HD but does not recognize it.
            Retaliator, I would contact the vendor or Dell's representative. You don't want your servers damaged in any way.
            Plus, you could always tell us how you solved it
            BTW, I installed three TS servers in three hours (one hour each) with wullieb1's method, only the restore was done from Ghost, and not from backup. Worked great !!

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -

Comment

Originally posted by Retaliator View Post
              It's a Hardware Mirror. not Sotware
              I want to duplicate coz i need two same machines.
              Forget domain or that issue it's not in domain,
              but when i took one of the working HD from SERVER1 to the new SERVER2 now computer loads with 1 HD but does not recognize it.
              When you removed the drive from the first server which slot did you take it from??

Remember by default the boot files are searched for on drive 0. So you need to remove drive 1 from the existing server and fit that to slot 0 on the new server. Take the disk from slot 0 on the new server and fit that to slot 1 on the old server. The array should then start to rebuild itself.

So in short.

1. Remove Disk 1 from Server 1.
              2. Remove Disk 0 from Server 2.
              3. Fit Disk 1 from Server 1 to Disk 0 Server 2.
              4. Fit Disk 0 from Server 2 to Disk 1 Server 1.

Hopefully that helps.

Comment

So you need to remove drive 1 from the existing server and fit that to slot 0 on the new server
                I am not certain that this is right.. For instance, in our HP servers is not true... I can boot from whatever disk is inserted. And, when the server is up with only one disk, I can insert the other one (hot-swap) and the mirror rebuilds itself.
                And I would start Server2 only with Disk1 from Server1 (to be certain the server will not recognize this disk as foreign and try to mirror the other way around).

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

For now , i just need a way to see the ARRAY on Windows, coz my open manage does not support Poweredge 1550. I am trying to find an old OPEN MANAGE or some Dell util to see the Array.
                  I managed to load both servers, close enough to what Wulli said with the DISKS (not backup but replace disks) but i did not reboot the SOURCE server yet, i am trying to find array manager first.

Retaliator
                  Thanks & Regards

Retaliator

MCSA/MCSE/CCNA

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
                    I am not certain that this is right.. For instance, in our HP servers is not true... I can boot from whatever disk is inserted. And, when the server is up with only one disk, I can insert the other one (hot-swap) and the mirror rebuilds itself.
                    And I would start Server2 only with Disk1 from Server1 (to be certain the server will not recognize this disk as foreign and try to mirror the other way around).
                    Yeah HP's are good like that though. Must admit i've been out of the field enviornment now for a few years so am a bit rusty. Damn office.

Its just the way i work though. Always leave drive 0 in the original server and use disk 1. This only counts true though if the disks are mirrored.

Comment

Working...
                    X