Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to create ISO Image

Hello all.

I am pretty familiar with the GHOST versions to create IMG files.
    I would like to know if it's possible to create an ISO image of a working Operating system, i want to transfer a windows server 2003 system into a Virtual Machine, and i can capture ISO Files there.

Thanks,
    Retaliator, MCSE
    Thanks & Regards

Retaliator

MCSA/MCSE/CCNA
    Computer Science Graduate

Re: How to create ISO Image

Check out the various P2V threads in the virtualisation forums. AFAIK it is not simply a case of capturing an iso and mounting it as the physical and virtual machines will not have the same hardware (virtual or real) configuration

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Your also going to have problems with the SID's unless you run sysprep before you create the ISO.

Michael
      Michael Armstrong
      www.m80arm.co.uk
      MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by m80arm View Post
        Your also going to have problems with the SID's unless you run sysprep before you create the ISO.

Michael
        If he is decommissioning the physical machine, the SIDs shouldn't cause problems -- if he isn't, the machine name will cause a problem as well!
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for the help!

I was thinking there should be already a UTIL to create directly an ISO image instead of GHO (Ghost) Image..
          This is not simple..

Retaliator
          Thanks & Regards

Retaliator

MCSA/MCSE/CCNA

Comment

Do you need to migrate a physical machine to a virtual one? Does this article help?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -

Comment

Thanks,

i have already seen that on a previous search i have made, but i don't have virtual server, only Virtual PC 2004.. For now it does not help.

Retaliator
              Thanks & Regards

Retaliator

MCSA/MCSE/CCNA

Comment

Oh, you're using VPC... OK.
                What exactly do you want to do with the ISO file? You can't use it as a virtual hard disk, it should be a .VHD file. You can only use it as a CD or DVD.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                -

Comment

i have a working win2k3 server, regular physical computer.
                  i want to transfer that to virtual pc as a virtual machine.
                  i know i can use GHOST and ghost that to a GHO file and then extract to the VM but no other solution? if i could ISO that computer i could CAPTURE ISO on the VM
                  Thanks & Regards

Retaliator

MCSA/MCSE/CCNA

Comment

i could CAPTURE ISO on the VM
                    Are you aware of the fact you can capture ISO images, but it goes straight to the CD drive? You cannot mount ISO images of hard drives...
                    i want to transfer that to virtual pc as a virtual machine
                    You should expect a lot of hardware compatibility issues. On what machine is running the physical 2003 server? And on what machine will run the virtual machine?
                    I think it will be better to use this: http://www.petri.com/vhd_test_drive_program.htm
                    Last edited by sorinso; 10th January 2007, 13:39. Reason: Link added

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Working...
                    X