Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many time HP/SONY DLT Cartridge tape 40/80GB rewrite/reuse

Dear Friends,
    We have one tru64 unix server having HP DLT Drive ,We take backup on DLT Cartridge 40/80GB Data .
    How many time HP/SONY DLT Cartridge tape 40/80GB rewrite/reuse ?
    & also How many time HP/SONY DLT Cleaning Cartridge tape rewrite/reuse ?
    Waiting for your response....

Regards
    Aatish

Re: How many time HP/SONY DLT Cartridge tape 40/80GB rewrite/reuse

Have you tried the (cartridge) manufacturers site? This will presumably depend on the brand.

IIRC cleaning tapes have a tick list and should be marked off each time they are used

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I don't know specifics to your named brands, but when the manufacturers post lifetime expectancy of any tape it means using the tape only once once, this would imply that more usage would degrade the tape, and is not supported by manufacturers. Its also hard to say since the drive physical condition would also have an effect on the ribbon. So, bottom line, verifying the tape is as important as backing up.
      "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Sony DDS tapes had a recommended life of 52 uses before they were supposed to be dumped. Don't know about the others.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
          Sony DDS tapes had a recommended life of 52 uses before they were supposed to be dumped. Don't know about the others.
          Beaten to it again.

Alot will depend on the actual usage of the tapes. If for example you have 10 tapes on a 2 week cycle and your tapes have a 52 week lifespan you will effectively get 104 weeks from these tapes.

I always take as a rule of thumb 1 set of 5 tapes per year. That gives you one tape for each day of the week for the whole year.

This may help

http://www.intel.com/support/storage.../cs-011780.htm

Comment

Nice article Wullie, good find. It does fail to mention a couple of areas were not to store your tapes. In your handbag (females, do not be offended) next to your mobile phone. Wonderous things happen to the backed up data when the phone rings. Also do not put them on the electrically heated seat of your car on a cold winters day. Also
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
              Nice article Wullie, good find. It does fail to mention a couple of areas were not to store your tapes. In your handbag (females, do not be offended) next to your mobile phone. Wonderous things happen to the backed up data when the phone rings. Also do not put them on the electrically heated seat of your car on a cold winters day. Also
              Yep well if your truley flush then get them stored in a nice cool office in a nice big fire safe.

Comment

In my last job we were lucky to get a cardboard box in a locked cupboard

Michael
                Michael Armstrong
                www.m80arm.co.uk
                MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Well, even though this thread is stale, I though I would mention that my post above includes bad information. Here is why...

I had an Imation SLR100-100GB go bad, I emailed them and one of the first questions they asked me was how often i use it.

Their response
                  Imation's warranty (www.imation.com/support/warranty.html) states that our
                  products are free from manufacturing defects at the initial time of
                  purchase. However, all data storage media eventually fails from normal
                  wear, which is not covered by our warranty.
                  I somehow mushed this in my mind to answer the OP question.
                  My bad.
                  "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Geeeeeeeeee.... It's like saying: "You have nothing to worry about, your computer has a lifetime warranty. As long as you don't turn it on..." Do you mean that they did not change the tape? It was still in warranty period?

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
                    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                    -
                    «««««

Comment

Indeed they would not give me a new one. And yes it was in the one year warranty period (then).

Comment

I hate when this happens. In my opinion, this is customer abuse. I had a case like this too:
                        I purchased two years ago a HP DL380 server with 4GB memory. I wanted to add some memory, but when I opened the server, I found that the supplier sent it with 4x512MB+2x1GB . No more room to add, only to replace. And of course he does not accept trade-in. From his point of view, he is OK: I asked for 4GB, got 4GB... But he did not take in consideration my needs, as a customer. He closed all the options I would have. And if I remember right, the price for 512 was lower than the price for 1GB...
                        I am not purchasing from him anymore.

Good luck to us all....

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
                        In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                        -
                        «««««

Comment

Working...
                        X