Two APs next to each other

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two APs next to each other

One on channel 1, the other on channel 11 or so.

Should that (ie, both WLANs) work? Or might the proximity still be a problem, despite the different channels?

I'm thinking of making a double WLAN: one for myself (with WPA2-PSK, address reservation) and one for public use (with SSID "free wireless internet for everyone" or so ).

I already have a modemrouter with 1 LAN port, so what I would need is a switch (at least 4 ports, for printer and LAN to PC and ->) and 2 APs.

Re: Two APs next to each other

Why don't you try it and let us know, we are not prophets. And, your router firewall will be nicely bypassed with this setup. BTW:Where do you live?

and for everybody else AP = Access point, and the question is about interference due to close proximity of one to another. Took me a while to figure that out.
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel54 View Post
      I'm thinking of making a double WLAN: one for myself (with WPA2-PSK, address reservation) and one for public use (with SSID "free wireless internet for everyone" or so ).
      Hope you have lots of parking space outside you place.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Check out this link http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...08008883b.html
        It goes over how wireless works and why you can only use 3 channels in the same area. (i.e. each channel has a frequency range that overlaps with it's neighboring channels)
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
        X