Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XP-Home SP2 notebook being ICS server with LAN connection?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP-Home SP2 notebook being ICS server with LAN connection?

My LAN NIC does not have the option "Allow other users to use this computer's internet connection" under the tab "Advanced" in its properties.

I know for sure that in XP Pro you do have this option. ( http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true )

And if I use a dial-up broadband connection I can enable ICS in the advanced properties of that connection. However, I want to use my modemrouter as a modemrouter, not just as a simple modem. Now it seems that I cannot enable ICS on the LAN connection?

Is enabling ICS from the LAN NIC perhaps only possible in XP Pro? That's the only answer I can think of right now. Or is there some trick? Any advice would be appreciated.

Illustrations:
    * http://img512.imageshack.us/my.php?image=icslan1wj9.jpg
    * http://img512.imageshack.us/my.php?image=icslan2sq0.jpg

A semi-related question: how does one configure the channel for this ad-hoc WLAN? Can't seem to find that anywhere.
    Last edited by Daniel54; 7th January 2007, 15:30.

Re: XP-Home SP2 notebook being ICS server with LAN connection?

Make sure in the NIC properties you have Client for Microsoft Networks and File and Printer Sharing installed.

Then run the Network Setup Wizard on the ICS host.
    Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Comment

Thanks, Rob.

File and Printer Sharing was disabled. I could only install Service and Protocol, but not Client (it asked for a disk which I don't have). Ran the wizard. But ICS is still not there in the advanced LAN properties...

Comment

You need the Client for Microsoft Networks.
        Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Comment

I have that installed, I think, from a while ago.

Anyway, now I suddenly cannot get on Live Messenger any more. Internet works, aside from that.

Ipconfig:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
          IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.2
          Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.0.0.0
          IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::214:22ff:feb5:da2b%8
          Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.138

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::ffff:ffff:fffd%4
          Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Tunnel adapter Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5efe:10.0.0.2%2
          Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Got any idea how I get back online? Don't ask me what I did.... Messenger connection troubleshooting wizard says it's a port (proxy/firewall) problem, but cannot repair it.
          Also if anyone could clarify these weird 'IP' addresses? I understood that ICS uses 192.168.0.1 for the server and *.2 - .254 for the clients. Not to mention that I have never heard of IPs with letters.
          Last edited by Daniel54; 7th January 2007, 18:19.

Comment

I got this solved. I (more or less accidentally) deinstalled Client for Microsoft Networks (yes, this sounds very stupid), after which I restarted my pc and couldn't get online via LAN-router, nor via dialup, nor with internal modem.

Ultimately turned out to be a simple plain DNS problem... Which I should really have recognized right away, since that's my job (tech support for a major router manufacturer).

Anyway, got it all working again. But the ICS options are still not there in the advanced LAN properties, so the initial problem remains. I will download and install Client for Microsoft Networks later today or tomorrow and see what happens.

Comment

Daniel,

As far as I am aware, yes, you can use ICS in XP Home edition.

Your second link shows *LAN2*. Incase you are not aware, you need to configure the NIC that is facing the WAN connection for ICS, not the LAN side.

You can read more about it here.

Simon

Edit;

I forgot to say, you need the ICS host to be in charge of DHCP, so knock this of in your ADSL unit if it is currently issueing addresses.
              Last edited by simonsays; 8th January 2007, 13:15.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel54 View Post
                Also if anyone could clarify these weird 'IP' addresses? I understood that ICS uses 192.168.0.1 for the server and *.2 - .254 for the clients. Not to mention that I have never heard of IPs with letters.
                Looks like you are using IPv6. http://www.google.com.au/search?sour...GGLD:en&q=ipv6 - Lots of info about it.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by simonsays View Post
                  Daniel,

As far as I am aware, yes, you can use ICS in XP Home edition.

Your second link shows *LAN2*. Incase you are not aware, you need to configure the NIC that is facing the WAN connection for ICS, not the LAN side.

You can read more about it here.

Simon

Edit;

I forgot to say, you need the ICS host to be in charge of DHCP, so knock this of in your ADSL unit if it is currently issueing addresses.
                  So I should turn off the DHCP server in my modemrouter, give the LAN NIC a static IP, and then the ICS option should suddenly appear in the advanced properties?

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                    Looks like you are using IPv6. http://www.google.com.au/search?sour...GGLD:en&q=ipv6 - Lots of info about it.
                    Ah, I see. My laptop is handing out IPv6 addresses, which explains those weird long letter-cipher 'IP addresses' which look more like MAC addresses. And my LAN NIC has both an IPv4 address for its connection to the router and an IPv6 address for its host function to the ICS client PCs.

Comment

Working...
                    X