Veritas Backup Exec 10.d ...NOOB question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veritas Backup Exec 10.d ...NOOB question

Hi there...i just took over at a place which is using veritas backup exex 10.d...

the outgoing admin told me that it is scheduled to run a backup of one database folder every day for 15 days, and then to start again............meaning 15 individual backups...........

i went into the backup external HDD and realised that there is only one and the job just keeps overwriting the same one.........

now if i want, lets say 7 daily full backups, do i have to creat one back up job and ask it to do 7 new ones, OR, do i just create 7 backup jobs and schedule them to run on .eg

job 1. copy folder on mondays,
    job 2. copy folder on tuesdays,
    job 3. copy folder on wednesdays,

any suggestions appreciated.

thanks

Re: Veritas Backup Exec 10.d ...NOOB question

If you are using an external HDD, then in Backup Exec 10d you would want to use 'Backup-to-Disk-Folders' in place of backup devices to hold your backups.

You would create seven folders on the external HDD, Monday to Sunday and share them. In Backup Exec under the Devices tab, create seven new Backup-to-Disk-Folders and point them to the seven shares you created on the external HDD.

In BackupExec, you would want to create seven individual backup jobs, each job scheduled to run only on the one corresponding day of the week. When you set the job up, you want to make sure the device you select corresponds to the Backup-to-Disk-Folder you created.

So lets say you create a Backup-to-Disk-Folder called Monday and it points to the Moday share on the HDD. The job you create in Backup Exec is Monday and it backs up to a device called Monday which is a Backup-to-Disk-Folder. This job is scheduled to run every Monday. Repeat this for each day.

When you set the job(s) up, you can append to these jobs or overwrite them. Hope this helps.
    Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Comment

thanks very much for that....i'll give it a try.

regards

Comment

thanks very much...it is working fine........

i want to back up a database folder every day and i have set the "advanced open file" option to auto select..........

i just hope this doesn't cause any problems on the server.........any ideas?..

thanks

Comment

I think you might have to purchase a license for that feature. You'll soon find out so watch the job monitor for warnings.
          Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Comment

Originally posted by dublin_101 View Post
            Hi there...i just took over at a place which is using veritas backup exex 10.d...

Are you using this tool for Exchange? Probably Yes. How useful this tool is? You found this sofwtare helpful? I saw demo of it. The demo says this software has capability to take "daily backup" everyday, so during restore process no head ache's.
            Did you test this product in lab before purchasing or did you evaluate this product somewhere ? I am curious, may be i'll buy this if the feedback is good. We have Exchange 2003 STD edition in our exisitng environment.

Oh yes one more thing, how easy this sofwtare is to install & configure ? Approx how much time it takes including configuration ?

Sorry the product demo i saw was " Backup Exec 11d" latest version .

Thank you,
            Regards,
            Amey Abhyankar.
            Last edited by sco1984; 2nd January 2007, 08:28.
            All in 1
            Solaris,Linux & Windows admin + networking.

Comment

not for exchange...........we run a database POS Software via our server and most users from the retail stores leave the database open...........

i spoke to Symantec today and they told me i have to pay for the add-on feature......around 1100 US dollars....

we are using 10d.........in my opinion, its and overated package and perhaps only good for tape setups, etc...............for externall HDD, etc, its just the same as using NTBACKUP in my opinion...

for more in-depth backups, it is probably the leader, but as mentioned, for more simple backups, ntbackup would do the job.

Comment

Working...
              X