Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Wireless NIC & VS 2005

Guys,

I'm trying to get my Dell D600 Latitude Pentium M 1.6 Ghz with 1gig RAM working with Virtual Server. The problem is the Wireless NIC. Whenever I disable the NIC VS works fine. As soon as I enable the NIC I get the BSOD.

I have downloaded the latest drive for the NIC and still get the same error. I have tried both VS 2005 and VS 2005 R5 Beta 2 but both have the same consequences.

I have tried searching but can't find anything.

Anyone have similar problems. It's gonna be a pain having to us a wired NIC all the time

any other suggestions?

Ta

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Re: Intel Wireless NIC & VS 2005

a quick Google reveals this
    Turns out that “Virtual Machine Network Services” wasn't selected for the wireless network card. (Funny, I've never had to do anything with that before.)
    Go into Network Connects, right-click the offending network connection and verify that “Virtual Machine Network Services” is selected. Click OK.
    but most say that it does not work well with MAC address spoofing and WAP/WEP security
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Yeah, I seen that but the guy didn't experience any BSOD.

I have just found some updated drivers from the Intel site (You would have though Dell would be up to date)

Just loaded them up, made a a system restore point and VS 2005 R2 is busy installing now

Cheers for the reply though

Michael
      Michael Armstrong
      www.m80arm.co.uk
      MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

GGgrrrr

Just finished re-installing it and I get the same problem.

Damm you BSOD

Michael
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

are you using encrypted or open Wifi?
          "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Just open.

Doesn't make a difference if it is connected or not - only if it is enabled
            Michael Armstrong
            www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

have you seen this and this

Comment

wait, so even if you are not using the wireless nic (just have it enabled) in VS, it still BSOD's? that is indeed strange.

Comment

Yip..

If it's disabled it's fine. As soon as i enable it BSDO

Michae
                  Michael Armstrong
                  www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

I think i reached the end of the internet. If i think of something i will let you know.

Comment

Originally posted by m80arm View Post
                      Guys,

. Whenever I disable the NIC VS works fine. As soon as I enable the NIC I get the BSOD.

It's a inbuilt 802.11 a/b/g Wireless lan adapter or external wirelss card which you are using via PCMCIA slot? Intel has several external wireless lan adapter's. Well i assume "BSOD" = Blue Screen Of The Death . It's most probably due to Antivirus and application conflict. If your using Windows XP, increase size of paging file. And donate more ram to Virtual amchine.

If your running Microsoft's virtual PC, add service packs of it . All the best !
                      All in 1
                      Solaris,Linux & Windows admin + networking.

Comment

It is an inbuilt Wireless adapter.

Update. I removed the intel updated version of the driver and re-installed it again and now it works.

Very strange problem and I dont know why the driver didn't install correctly in the first place. Even though via device manager it said it was up to date.

Anyways sorted now.

Cheers for all the help

Michael
                        Michael Armstrong
                        www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                        X