A question for the Mods/Admins/Website forum designers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question for the Mods/Admins/Website forum designers

On this perticular forum style (not this website), i have noticed that there are quite a few spambots that create accounts, then post lots of spam

if any, what measures do you take to stop spambots posting of these forums?(because i haven't seen any here)
    changed

Re: A question for the Mods/Admins/Website forum designers

Due to security reasons, we are not able to tell you how we combat this problem.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

If we told you, we'd have to shoot you!
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

ahh, i apologise, it's just a website i frequent has this problem, and i was just asking there was a way to do it

thanks anyway
        changed

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Murgatroyd View Post
          ahh, i apologise, it's just a website i frequent has this problem, and i was just asking there was a way to do it

thanks anyway
          We're just winding you up, Luke
          Wired will probably give you some specific help -- he's a vBulletin guru. Dedicated, active and visible moderators and admins make a big difference

Tom
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

thing is, they do have mods and admins and they are the ones getting annoyed at deleting the spam all the time, but they aren't very technical, so they are not sure about how to stop the spam

is there anyway to make it so a new account can't make a topic unless it has posted at least once in the past?

(btw, i am not an admin so i can't fiddle with the settings myself)
            Last edited by Luke Murgatroyd; 21st December 2006, 12:18.
            changed

Comment

Image reading tests in the registration process are a good way to stop Bots. The process involves putting up a "twisted" image of some letters and numbers and asking the registrant to type in what he can read in the image. Bots can't read twisted numbers and letters from images so they can't complete the registration process.

Tom
              For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
                Image reading tests in the registration process are a good way to stop Bots. The process involves putting up a "twisted" image of some letters and numbers and asking the registrant to type in what he can read in the image. Bots can't read twisted numbers and letters from images so they can't complete the registration process.
                A common form of this is called CAPTCHA.

That certainly stops a lot of them. There's also generally patterns you can see, e.g. certain domain names, certain URLs posted, certain IPs, etc. Banning said patterns when they become evident helps. There's no foolproof way to stop them though. Most forum packages have inherent settings (or freely available add-ons) that help to combat spam as well. I mod / admin 2 other vBulletin-based forums. On one of them I have installed a custom hack, and by chance it highlights obvious spammers VERY easily (although this is purely unintentional).

Ultimately it comes down to a dedicated staff and memberbase. On the afforementioned site, no one EVER reports threads, so it's up to the staff. On another forum I help mod, we have an aggressive staff in combo with a helpful memberbase. Here, it's also an aggressive staff w/ helpful members. Ultimately it's a community response thing.

I'd also recommend checking out the support forum for the forum software that you're using, as well as http://www.theadminzone.com.

Comment

thanks for your help guys, Wired, i 'll check the website you mentioned
                  changed

Comment

No problemo

Comment

Working...
                    X