Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to enable USB storage in 2003

Hi,

I have followed the advice given in this thread, and also googled incase there is something more recent than the last post, but still unable to enable USB storage on an old domain controller I have been given for studying purposes.

Although the plan is to remove the OS, i would like to learn from this if possible.

The value for USB store is 3 and there are no deny permissions set. The only logon scripts within the sysvol folder are for mapped drives for users. As far as I am aware there is no third part utility I can see which is causing this to happen.

I have also tried placing the USB stick in the DC and logging in, hoping that I could access it this way. It is domain wide and not just on the controller.

Thanks for reading.

Re: How to enable USB storage in 2003

I assume you have checked USB is enabled in the BIOS?

Since this is outwith the control of the OS, no registry changes would detect / enable it.

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Tom,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, the BIOS does have USB enabled; the DC detects the flash drive and issues it with a drive letter, but *access is denied* when trying to explore.

Comment

Errr.... is the USB drive formatted NTFS on another system? If so, it's just possible that you've used permissions to deny access to it!

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Tom,

Thanks for your reply. No, the usb flash stick is FAT based.

Comment

Working...
          X