Anyone recommend a good laptop?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone recommend a good laptop?

Can anyone on here recommend a good laptop?

Looking for 2gig Ram and a decent Graphics Card (Also has to be Vista Compliant)

Not too fussed about make but obviously has to have a core duo or turion processor.

Looking to spend ~1000

Thanks

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Re: Anyone recommend a good laptop?

Fujitsu S6310 - Fujitsu links are down at this time so I can't give you a link. I have personal experience with this notebook and was VERY impressed. It does have a 14" screen and that I thought was its only con.

[Edit] Found a live link. http://www.pc-ap.fujitsu.com/news/20...om_design.html

[edit] http://www.pc-ap.fujitsu.com/products/lb_s6310.html - In Australia this has a 3 year warranty.
    Last edited by biggles77; 9th December 2006, 20:45. Reason: Added link to notebook.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

http://www5.pc.ibm.com/europe/produc...nkPad+T+Series
      Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

what size screen are you looking for?
        also, would you want it widescreen?
        is it a personal or work laptop?

with the current info, i suggest something from th HP pavillion range, but if you look for bargains on ebay, you could maybe get a Vaio?
        changed

Comment

Cheers for the info guys.

Will look at the suggested ones.

I do quite fancy an HP since I have always used them

Michael
          Michael Armstrong
          www.m80arm.co.uk
          MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Look at the Toshiba M400 tablet PC
            Dual Core
            1400 x 1050 display

Tom
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I've always had bad experiences with Toshiba laptops, always seem to be breaking... and the bloatware is worse than Dell and HP! But I'm sure Michael will do a reformat.

I'm going with Yuval on this one. I've always liked the ThinkPads. They seem very solid. I've never owned one but a few of my friends have them and if I wasn't so cheap I'd have gotten one (at Dell you get a lot of bang for you buck)
              Regards,
              Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
              Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
              www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

http://www.comet.co.uk/cometbrowse/p....do?sku=359009

that is what i have but a little less spec'd, but i have had no problems with mine at all, and i carry it everywhere!
                changed

Comment

Mmm, I have a lot of experience with IBM, oops sorry Lenovo ClunkPads (and their "way cool" joystick). I dislike them with a fervent intensity. But like all things it is a personal preference.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                    (and their "way cool" joystick)
                    LOL
                    Yes, the joystick leave something to be desired... but you can get them with touch pads.

Luke, that looks like a pretty good deal on that HP. (what's the conversion rate $ to ?)
                    Regards,
                    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
                      LOL
                      Yes, the joystick leave something to be desired... but you can get them with touch pads.

Luke, that looks like a pretty good deal on that HP. (what's the conversion rate $ to ?)
                      999.99 = $1,952.17 -ish

although laptops are generally more expensive in England compared to America.

Mine was 1Gig ram, 100 GB-HDD, 1.6 GB Dual Core Turion etc, for 699.99, which is nearly a third cheaper than the product displayed, it came with CD/DVD writer, built in mic and webcam, 3 USB ports, lots of other ports, free TV card & remote (although i cant really use it at home because it turns on my 360), light power pack, etc.
                      changed

Comment

I'd say Dell.

We use them at work and don't have any issues with them.

There's me just cursed it.

Comment

Buy an HP. I have a bunch of stock options that expire next year and I Appreciate anything you can do to help.

Seriously, don't over think the laptop situation. Look at your local service, your pain point for partial / total loss, and go as cheap as you can for the features you really need.

Laptops are generally crappauge compared to desktops given the space they have to operate within. Heat is the great equalizer.

First thing I'd look at is do you want a desktop replacement or a full sized PDA? I have several of each (man do I have too many machines). I have to tell you, my favorite machine is a low rent, low heat machine that runs on a battery forever. Screen size, 1GB+ RAM and 80 GB HD is all I'd push for (+ HT -- dual core = heat).

Touch pads and joysticks (commonly known by a naughty name in my circles) are crappauge for my old hands. I use a USB micro-mouse like:

Micro Innovations Optical Travel Mouse -- http://www.mic-innovations.com/details.cfm?id=PD905P

These are the bomb for me. Runs nicely on the hand rest portion of my laptop even on a crowded Southwest Airlines flight.

Never found anything as small and useful. Bought them for all my geeky friends last Xmas so I'm guessing this is an endorsement.
                          Cheers,

Rick

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
                          X