• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB Pen drive security

Does anyone out there know of USB drives that have built in security that:

a) allows non-admin users to use on a Windows XP Machine
    b) Preferably comes with the Hardware
    c) Easy for novice users to use.

Thanks for all your responses in advance!!!!

Re: USB Pen drive security

The whole idea with USB keys is to transport data between machines regardless of security perimeters. If you want to format it NTFS and assign permissions, make sure you restrict these activities to accounts which always have the same SID regardless of the Domain - for instance "Authenticated Users", "BuiltIn\Administrators" (on a single machine) and "Everyone" always have I believe the same SID. As soon as you restrict permissions to a single user from one environment, you will not get access to the folder in another environment, even if their user name is the same.

This is, I believe, the only security available on USB keys.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

I believe he's looking for security software that doesn't need to be installed (or if it does, can be installed under power user), and solely sits on the USB stick. Am I correct?
      ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

You are correct Wired, We have been unable to find a USB pen drive that doesn't require admin permissions to run the built-in security software. Methinks, it's impossible but I posted it here anyway because you never know. They usually come with something that enables a user to create a public and secure area on the USB pen, but unfotunately only if the user is an administrator.

The previous contributor's suggestion will not work for us because our users need to carry documents back and forth from home to work - a potentially dangerous enterprise I know but that's what the powers that be have asked for.

Comment

http://www.truecrypt.org/

I believe that'll run right from the USB drive.
          ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Also the Kingston Data Traveler range come with Secure Traveler software built in.
            The Univurse is still winning!

W2K AD, WSUS, RIS 2003. ISA also AVG Server
            ** If contributors help you, recognise them and give reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by AndyUK View Post
              Also the Kingston Data Traveler range come with Secure Traveler software built in.
              It does?! I don't have it on mine... when did it come out? I bought my "Data Traveller" late last year sometime...

Tom
              For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
                It does?! I don't have it on mine... when did it come out? I bought my "Data Traveller" late last year sometime...

Sorry not too sure about that.... Ive just checked the site and it looks as though it's only available on certain models, recent ones at that. So my original post was incorrect.

However I think ours only cost about 20 for 1Gb

There is a download for the security software here but obviously I'm not sure if its going to work with other models or makes.http://www.kingston.com/support/down...av/default.asp

Sorry again for the confusion.
                The Univurse is still winning!

W2K AD, WSUS, RIS 2003. ISA also AVG Server
                ** If contributors help you, recognise them and give reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by AndyUK View Post
                  Sorry not too sure about that.... Ive just checked the site and it looks as though it's only available on certain models, recent ones at that. So my original post was incorrect.

However I think ours only cost about 20 for 1Gb

There is a download for the security software here but obviously I'm not sure if its going to work with other models or makes.http://www.kingston.com/support/down...av/default.asp

Sorry again for the confusion.
                  Thanks mate, yeah - I've downloaded it and it's working fine; I guess I just ignored it when I first got mine. Mine's the Data Traveller II so does actually support the privacy software.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                  X