Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ServeRaid-4XL ! Help, server down!

hi all,
    im using IBM xSeries 225 Server with Serveraid-4xl configure in stripe (3 x 36GB drives).
    i turn it on today and go that message :
    1962 - Boot sector not found, operation system not installed
    friday it worked just fine !
    i check the serveraid and i didnt found any logical drives he reconize.
    can it be the serveraid problem ?
    anything eles ?
    help ! im dying out here... it is my DC !

p.s : tried to run ERD Commander and sbs2000 installation disk using the Serveraid drivers ( and F6 ) both have not find and recognize the Harddrive !

best regards...

Re: ServeRaid-4XL ! Help, server down!

I have replaced about four x220 servers in the last year that I originally installed in 2000 - 2001 with SBS 2000. It is usually it is because of drive failure.

My suggestion is the system failed because the drives are striped and you have no redundancy and one of the drives failed on you. I'll even bet the drives are IBM Ultrastars.

Normally in these eSeries servers we ran the drives RAID-5 and attached a tape to the on-board Ultra160. The nice thing is you can easily chain a 143Gb to the onboard negating the small RAID array.

Let me know if you need parts
    Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Comment

so what sould i do ?

all the data on the drive is lost ?
      the ServeRaid menu dont recognize any logical drive, cant i save anything ?
      can it be that the raid card is gone byebye ?

Comment

Originally posted by ravx View Post
        so what sould i do ?

all the data on the drive is lost ?
        the ServeRaid menu dont recognize any logical drive, cant i save anything ?
        can it be that the raid card is gone byebye ?
        Do you have a good working backup???

Comment

Can you see which drive failed in ServeRAID Manager? It will say 'defunct'. You can try to bring it back online.

I had an IBM drive fail (defunct) in a server this time last year, part of a RAID-5 array. In ServeRAID Manager I was able to make the drive come back online, although just a temporary measure.

IBM Ultrastar drives do not have a good history. Did you happen to see what kind of drive it was?

Comment

thanks for all your help folks, i contact IBM custumer services and they helped me even that my server was no longer with support contract.
            what was happend was that by a light electric failure or not good restart of the server, the ServeRaid card was lost his configuration of the raid arry so it didnt know when to boot first.
            i was instructed to enter the serveraid menu at the logon of the computer,
            pull out all the HD, and restore factory default configuration...
            then insert the HD backto the Server and copy configuration for HD to raid ( there is an option for that )
            after that the raid got his configuration for the HD and was back to work.
            thanks again and hope my experience will help someone someday.
            ravX

Comment

Glad to hear your data was spared. This would be a good opportunity to consider going RAID-5 on the three present drives, adding a 36Gb or 73Gb drive to the on-board SCSI, and getting a backup plan in place. You can buy a 36Gb off of eBay for almost nothing.

Comment

Working...
              X